sandie115

BRAKE Fluid question

I took my rig for an oil change, 2003 Newmar Mountainaire gas with GM Vortec engine.  All went well except the mechanic showed me the brake fluid, said it though goopy, then stick his finger in and showed me it was thick and now very fluidly but clear.  Said he had never seen anything like it.  NOW, THE same place did a big brake job a year ago where my rear brake totally locked up so towed in and they fix it but nothing else done by any other place.  I thought you NEVER put your fingers in the brake fluid etc and what would make it slightly thickened?  The Brakes Work fine.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic (unless using a very special high boil point fluid, used in race cars).  It is for this reason that most recommend flushing the fluid every 2-3 years.

fly2low is right, most vehicle manufacturers recommend brake fluid be flushed and replaced in regular a maintenance schedule.

On 8/12/2020 at 7:18 PM, sandie115 said:

I took my rig for an oil change, 2003 Newmar Mountainaire gas with GM Vortec engine.  All went well except the mechanic showed me the brake fluid, said it though goopy, then stick his finger in and showed me it was thick and now very fluidly but clear.  Said he had never seen anything like it.  NOW, THE same place did a big brake job a year ago where my rear brake totally locked up so towed in and they fix it but nothing else done by any other place.  I thought you NEVER put your fingers in the brake fluid etc and what would make it slightly thickened?  The Brakes Work fine.

The first thing I would do is contact Newmar and find out what the correct brake fluid is. Then I would do a complete drain/flush/refill with the correct fluid. 

Bill

Do a complete flush, it should not be goopy. Putting you finger in it will have no effect on it. Use DOT 4, do not use synthetic. Yes should be a a regular service point especially if in moist climates. 

DOT 3, 4 & 5.1 are all synthetic and will work in your system. DOT 3 is out of date. DOT 4 is the standard. DOT 5.1 is sometimes difficult to find. As the numbers progress so does the boiling point temperature. 

DO NOT USE DOT 5. It is not compatible with the other brake fluids.

Richard