I currently have a 36 ft gaser, toying with the idea of going to a DP and I am curious as to what I will need to learn about them.  Any help is appreciated.  Also any comments about single axle vs tag.

Edited by papabee49@hotmail.com

papa bee

Welcome!

A big coach drives the same you just have to remember on a Class C the wheels are in front of you. On a Class A gasser the your are under you and on a Diesel Pusher they are behind you.

As for as a tag axle, to me they are more stable than a single axle unit and I have had both. That being said if you are looking at a coach under 40 foot a single would be ok but if looking at over 40 foot I would definitely look for a tag. Most, but not all 40 + have a tag. 

Good luck on you search. 

Herman 

Thanks for the reply. We have had a 32' class C and a 31 and now 36' Class A.  We like or coach but are interested in getting a DP.  Thought the tag would be more stable but didn't really know. Fully retired and wanting to start traveling more. Haven't really visited the western states so figured the DP would be better for the mountains.  Tow a Ford Edge on a Kar Kaddy pushing 5000 lbs, max for our RV that is also a conern.

Had a Class A on Ford chassis and traded for 36 ft. Class A on Freightliner Chassis.  Performance and handling are 100% better with the Freightliner and I tow a Lincoln MKT which I believe is the same chassis as the Edge.  It is a pleasure to drive the diesel and we have been over the Rockies many times.  Must pay close attention to keeping the area between the radiator and charge air cooler clean to prevent overheating.  Otherwise, I would never buy another gas.

On 8/13/2020 at 7:25 AM, papabee49@hotmail.com said:

Thanks for the reply. We have had a 32' class C and a 31 and now 36' Class A.  We like or coach but are interested in getting a DP.  Thought the tag would be more stable but didn't really know. Fully retired and wanting to start traveling more. Haven't really visited the western states so figured the DP would be better for the mountains.  Tow a Ford Edge on a Kar Kaddy pushing 5000 lbs, max for our RV that is also a conern.

Go drive some coaches. That is the best way to find out. Definitely try a Newmar with "comfort drive".

IMO the most important thing to know about a diesel engine is proper care for the fuel system. Always purchase diesel fuel from a high-volume retailer, one is much less likely to fill with water-contaminated fuel, which can be very troublesome out on the road. Adjusting to a diesel engine  is a learning curve, begin by reading various RVing forums past discussions about diesel engines. Today Cummins is the only diesel engine manufacturer for any MH except Foretravel, Prevost, etc.(high-dollar units), prior to 2010 (I think) Caterpillar made OTR diesel engines, since then they are off-road use only.

I would not make a decision of which MH to purchase on engine brand, but in a 40' DP, the Cummins 6.7 engine is under-powered IMO.

This video explains much better:

Edited by RayIN

2 hours ago, papabee49@hotmail.com said:

Along with the need to know, other than cost is there a limit on how far back one should go as far as year goes? (everything else being equal)

What exactly are you talking about/trying to say?

Bill

7 hours ago, papabee49@hotmail.com said:

Along with the need to know, other than cost is there a limit on how far back one should go as far as year goes? (everything else being equal)

Some RV parks have a limit on the age of a MH and typically 10 years or newer are allowed to stay.  Some will let you stay with a 10 year old RV but require a picture and have the option of turning you away when you show up.  If the coach is in "looking good" condition you can stay.  There are some that just use the 10 year old rule and it is written in there stone!

So, judge accordingly and make your decisions of how many years you want to travel and if you can purchase another one sometime down the road that is newer.

19 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

What exactly are you talking about/trying to say?

Bill

Bill, just trying to figure out if I should stop looking at older coaches say before 2005 because of potential problems with them.  This is just from a mechanical standpoint, everything else with the coach would also affect the purchase.

Edited by papabee49@hotmail.com

I know RV'ers that have 2000, 2001 coaches and they are i perfect condition.  Find one of them or newer and you are good to go.

That is why I recommend hiring a certified inspector to look over any new purchase. He reports to you and will give you his advise on the condition of the coach. 

Allso the better/higher quality coaches will hold up longer/better. 

What are you looking for and what is your budget? 

Bill  

I wouldn't mind finding an older Monaco, I don't mind the higher mileage on a diesel as long as the rest of the coach is in good condition. Will not have a house payment after Dec 2020 so I can probably go as high as 200k, but would like to keep it as low as possible, don't necessarily want to be tied to another mortgage. If I can find a good coach for around 100K that would be great.

Beaver Marquis is a great older coach. Build quality is as good as any out there. Also any pre 2007-2008 Marquis are pre emission, so no worries there. Most are Cat C-12, 13, 15. Owned a 2002, and now a 2007. In some respects, the 2002 is better build quality than the 2007. All depends on floor plan, number of slides, and electronics in deciding what you want. Your budget of 100 to 200 grand will buy you a very nice coach in the range of years pre 2007-2008. Good luck and have fun on your journey.

I wouldn't mind finding an older Monaco, I don't mind the higher mileage on a diesel as long as the rest of the coach is in good condition. Will not have a house payment after Dec 2020 so I can probably go as high as 200k, but would like to keep it as low as possible, don't necessarily want to be tied to another mortgage. If I can find a good coach for around 100K that would be great.

Here is something to look at. 2008 Mountain Aire. I bet this one has the 2007  driveline like my coach so no emissions, no exhaust filter or def.

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2008-Newmar-Motorhome-Mountain-Aire-4528-Mountain-Aire-8468470?ref=list

I put the Foretravel above the Monaco line.

2007 Foretravel Nimbus 40' https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2007-Foretravel-Motorhome-Nimbus-40-Nimbus-9252076?ref=list

2007 Foretravel Phenix 45' https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2007-Foretravel-Motorhome-Phenix-45-Phenix-8753756?ref=list

2005 Foretravel U295 3820  https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2005-Foretravel-Motorhome-U295-3820-Foretravel-U295-9228449?ref=list Kind of wish this one had been on the market when I was looking.

Bill

don't necessarily want to be tied to another mortgage. 

Remember if needed the interest on a motorhome is deductible on your income tax.

I myself think a lot of a Monaco, as well as a Tiffin, Newmar and Foretravel. All are great coaches but like Ford, Chevrolet and even Cadillac there can be lemons and diamonds.

Herman  

Edited by hermanmullins

Herman is right. This is why it would be a good idea to get a qualified inspector t look at it. It adds anouther level to catch potential problems.

papabee49@hotmail.com There are some outher coaches on that website. You might keep an eye on.

https://www.nirvc.com/Sales?start=0&fq=status%3AAvailable

and PPL Motorhomes which is a consignment lot, well ok 3 lots.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

You can look at floor plans and what things are going for. 

Bill

Edited by WILDEBILL308

Don't overlook those older Country Coaches & Bluebird Wanderlodges. Good stuff.

I came so close to buying a 98 BlueBird Wanderlodge, 42' with DD 60 engine. It had  55,000 miles and all new tires and batteries for $135,000. It was a head turner. Even had a walk in closet in the bedroom.  But that BB would probably have collapsed my RV pad with it's 55,000 lbs. I'm still crying.

Richard

Edited by RLS7201