pierrem53

6000 mile trip

Question

leaving in about a month. Erie Pa to Bend Oregon (visit daughter) than southern trip back to Venice Florida. Any tips, suggestions, must see, only have about 2 months to do the trip. 

thanks

7 answers to this question

With only two months, there’s not much in the way of stopping to enjoy the trip out. Just in Oregon alone you could spend the summer. We enjoyed rte84 that runs along the Columbia River and the Oregon Trail.

but a must is if you have never done it is the coastal highway down the west coast. Beautiful scenery, great seafood . Travel down into CA and then jump to I-10 to FL.

I agree, that two months is not enough to enjoy a 6000 mile trip.  All you will be doing is driving, setting up, breaking down and driving.  That leaves very little time to  actually relax and do some sight seeing.

You can easily spend a month in Oregon alone.  I'd suggest you look at shortening the trip so that you don't just drive and drive.

Ken

Agree with campcop and TX shortening the trip, they want to visit their daughter.  When we head to Fla each winter from Colorado, we allow a month just to get there! There are to many places to see and places to stop. I used to travel to get where I was going to end up, rarely taking the time to smell the roses. That said, you must determine how you are going to travel, freeways or secondary roads. The latter being the real America or the speedy freeways with lots of trucks and many bumpy roads, construction zones. Oh there is a lot to see, true but catered to a fast food crowd so to speak. As TX says, "set up and tear down" day after day. First time we went East, I allowed two weeks, a joke, I day two long 600 mile days to stay on schedule. The time just flies when you find a place you would like to spend two days or three at and then after several time of this along with the inevitable side trip you are sadly behind the curve and now have a really long day ahead. Set up after a few of these becomes a real chore and the G & T gin and tonic hour not nearly as much fun. Me I would not shorten the trip but lengthen it, it will be a lot more fun and everything you left will still be there when you return just waiting.

If you do the fastest route it is 5442 miles and will take 80 hours.  That would be14 days at about 8 hours a day just driving to make the trip. The fastest route will have tolls. Then consider the stopping, resting, stretching and eating and those hours will increase or the amount of days will increase.

It is 2438 miles to Bend and then 3001 miles to Venice. That is a lot of ground to cover in two months.

Yes it is doable especially if all you want to do is get there and visit with no sight seeing and then it will depend on the length of your visit. Thirty six hours to get to Bend, non-stop with a two week visit in Bend. then 44 hours non-stop to get to Venice, FL.  You'll have a little time to stop and smell the roses.

By non-stop I'm implying 8 hours a day and not counting rest stops.

Doable, but not my choice.

Edited by wayne77590

Yes I see at least 20 driving days at 300 miles a day. 30 days if you do 200 a day. I don't have to drive over 300 miles a day now. So I recommend to the OP pierrem53 to take the Mass pike ( I-90) West to Oregon. Look at the map and see what you might like to see and plan the non travel days to see them. If you want to do the big loope take I-5 south to I-10 and go East.

You didn't say what you were traveling in. I would make a serious effort to find anouther 30 days at least. This such a great opportunity it would be a shame to be rushed.

By the way welcome to the forum. I was in Erie last year. My sister still lives there.

Any questions just ask.

Bill

I have always found that when going cross country to travel one day and try to stop at an interesting place for two night. Spend the night, spend the day seeing the area and spend the night and travel for a day and repeat. This way you have time for a bit of sightseeing and can learn of places you would like to spend more time in. And you can always extend your stay if you like the place.

When we have a destination we need to get to we go directly there but always plan to take our time going back. It's hard to set time when you have to be someplace on a certain time or date, but when you have finished then it leisure time on the way back.

Herman