TimeTraveler

Gneerator smells of raw diesel

Our Onan 7500 watt diesel has never given us any trouble but.... for the last few weeks it smells strongly of raw diesel when running. Still runs well and performs as it should.

What's wrong ?

First thought would be a leak. Sometimes difficult to see, so you'll have to get in all the nooks and crannies to inspect while it's running. Might require cover panels to be removed to find it.

13 hours ago, TimeTraveler said:

Our Onan 7500 watt diesel has never given us any trouble but.... for the last few weeks it smells strongly of raw diesel when running. Still runs well and performs as it should.

What's wrong ?

How old is it?

The reason I ask, if built before 2007 the fuel lines were not designed to handle ULSD, they deteriorate and will leak. If you are handy you can purchase new hose and replace it yourself. Another common one often forgotten about is the lines from the tank to the generator which typically have crimped fittings on them, those you can remove, take to a hydraulic hose store and have new ones made. 

16 hours ago, TimeTraveler said:

What's wrong ?

What is the Make and Model of your coach?

If your generator is mounted on a slide-out system the job of replacing fuel lines and other repairs is more  in the DYI category if you are mechanical y inclined. 

Rich.

Check the fuel filter connections, once I had my generator serviced at Speedco and the connections were just tight enough to hold -until the vibration from running while on the road loosened them enough to leak.

As to the fuel lines, my Spartan chassis is a 1999, MH was built in Apr 2000. I've never had a fuel line problem, with anything on the MH.

7 hours ago, DickandLois said:

What is the Make and Model of your coach?

If your generator is mounted on a slide-out system the job of replacing fuel lines and other repairs is more  in the DYI category if you are mechanical y inclined. 

Rich.

It's an 05 Revolution.

2 minutes ago, TimeTraveler said:

It's an 05 Revolution.

I wish it was on a slide out. Has to be reached from underneath t change filter and oil filter but not difficult if you're skinny...and I'm not