brocki

Shower door fix

This is not a new problem but a constant irritation. 

For openers we are in our '07, 40 ft Tiffin Phaeton.  The shower door is one of the old flat designs.  We have had this design in 3 motor homes from the 90s on up.  After a few years they seem to sag toward the handle side and then of course they grind against the lower track and get very difficult to open or close.  Has anyone figured out a fix for this?  Looking at the door, one does not see a visible sag, but there obviously is one.  Looking for help (if there is any) for this, other than replacement.

IMG_2194.thumb.JPG.b7cd70a3a62c9099271df250c95961ba.JPG

The sliding doors I've seen are all suspended from the top, on rollers. Perhaps the plastic roller is bad.

13 hours ago, RayIN said:

The sliding doors I've seen are all suspended from the top, on rollers. Perhaps the plastic roller is bad.

Or may just need readjustment.Primeline Mp6013 Slidng Shower Door Roller,assembly,pk2Many look like this, simply loosen the screw on wheel and slide the roller downward to raise the door, then re-tighten the screw.

Sorry I missed the fact that it is a hinged door, not a slider, looks are deceiving. As Herman said, if there are screws then a good re-tightening should help, but many of these type doors have a molded type door hinge. People getting in and out of the shower tend to lean downward while holding on to the door causing it to sag over a period of time. Easiest fix is to open the door until it is 90% to the opening, use a small wedge, wood works well, and gently  push and tap the wedge under the further end from the opening, may take several attempts to spring the hinge pin in the opposite direction, please be gentle while doing this, a little goes a long way.

Edited by kaypsmith

On 8/18/2020 at 1:15 PM, hermanmullins said:

Is it the door that is dragging or the drip rail? Both can be adjusted. The door by tighting the screws and drip rail by the screw slots.

Herman 

As best as I can determine, the door is the part that is sagging so that it drags at the bottom at the opposite side from the hinge.

I'm not sure I know what screws you are referring to.  I'll poke around looking for some screws.

If it is hinged it could be the hinges themselves that have sagged.  Try replacing the hinges.  If you lift up on the door when you close it does it close with dragging? --- back to hinges.

I think if you put a square on the door you will find it is out of square.  I have the same problem.  Thinking of trying to square the door then it won't drag.

Herman, thanks for the screw tip.  I found one at the top that was loose and a matching one at the bottom that is completely missing.  I tightened the one at the top and it greatly helped the situation.  I will get another screw and put it in and perhaps the problem will be solved.

OK, I was half correct.  I tightened the top and it helped a lot.  What I thought was a missing screw on the bottom was just the screw countersunk way down in.  It was not and is not missing.  So here are some pictures of the top and bottom screws I have been working with.  I don't see any others that would either lift the door or lift the whole hinge post.  The L brackets you see, I added years ago when this problem started.

IMG_2222.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG