fashafer1

Cleaning window screens?

Looking for suggestions on cleaning screens in my RV.  They show streaks, I cleaned with 409, spray on and lightly wiped, they still come out streaked.  I'm afraid to scrub them to heavily.  Any ideas/suggestions?  

Fashafer,

You can remove the screens and do a good job of cleaning them. If you don't know how, just open the window as far as you can, then move the screen towards the middle of the window and lift up on the screen. The bottom of the screen will clear the windows bottom grove and you should be able to remove the screen. If you have a tube large enough to lay the screen flat in it (a kiddies pool would do in a pinch), you can cover the screen with warm water with Dawn soap in the water and let then soak for a while (lightly scrub if needed). Then  remove, rinse several time let dry and re install the reverse order which you removed them. Your screens should be clean and free of streaks.

Herman  

I relegate the screen cleaning to the wife. She does a nice job. and my fingernails don't get scratched or broken. 😌

Richard

I wash all of our window screens by first wiping down the screen with a damp micro fiber cloth (warm water with dish soap) to remove the dirt, and then drying with a second dry micro fiber cloth to dry. I do both sides.

Works well and is a fairly short task.

I do this job and with screens 20 years old went after them with a stiff bristled brush. Scrubbed both sides and hosed of with a stiff spray, no streaking. We went to Florida and the no seeums went thru the screens at 30 miles an hour so replaced with a tighter no seeum screen from qualitywindowscreen.com, 25 foot roll. My point, screen will take a beating and not expensive to replace, nor difficult. 

We have 2 screens, only one that we can clean in the 1/2 bath, the other is on Co pilot side & we cant get to it....door screen is no problem.  I do mine like Ian does!

All of the replies alluded to the problem, never use strong acidic or basic cleaners, it reacts with aluminum. Do as all others have recommended, only use mild cleaners or plain water on aluminum. Even automatic dish washer soap is too strong, it will oxidize(a form of rusting) aluminum.

To thoroughly clean my RV window screens I remove them and wash them with soap and water. Then, using a lint free towel I can wipe off the excess water right after I insert them back on my RV window.

Edited by Philipclopez