seeburg220

Michelin XZE tires - are they good for a Class A ?

I am looking for new tires for my 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 26P.   The tire size is 225 70R 19.5.   Not a whole lot of choices in that size from any tire companies.  The XZE's are available in that size and are discounted through the FMCA program.  My hesitation is, when I do a search on that tire, so many older threads talk about the XRV tire, which isn't made in that size any longer.  

When I read the description of the XZE tire at Michelin, it makes it sound likes it's made for city buses and short haul truck that may encounter curbs more than a highway truck might.  My supposition of that is, that they will ride rougher than an other type of tire might.  Honestly, Michelin could do a lot better job describing specifics about these tires, like they do or do not recommend them for RV's or other applications.  

I've only found 1 or 2 posts using a google search, where someone actually talks about the XZE's ride, and those posts are 3+ years old.  

So, can someone elaborate on the ride, wear, traction, performance of the XZE tires on their RV ?  

I read negative reviews about Continental's and I've discovered that Hankook's in my specific size, are made in China.  I'm not buying Chinese tires.  

Thanks.

I'm with you, no Chinese tires for me....one bad experience is enough.  However, same goes for Michelin...one bad experience (a set of tires) plus they are very expensive, even with the FMCA discount.  Last summer I put Continentals on the front and Toyos on the rear....couldn't get the correct size to put Toyos on the front.

Bought 8 XZE’s that were 3 weeks old for a 2002 Beaver Marquis. Driveability, ride and wear were excellent in 30,000 miles. Sold coach after 3 years so no experience after that. I would buy Michelin again. Whatever you buy, make sure the date code is as new as you can get. For me, I would not buy any tire that is more than 6-9 months old. Hope this helps.

I had Michelin XZE+ for ~6 years on my MH.  Changed them out for Hankooks after they aged out.  The Hankooks cost 2/3 as much and provided a quieter ride.  

19 hours ago, frank.bergamo said:

Bought 8 XZE’s that were 3 weeks old for a 2002 Beaver Marquis. Driveability, ride and wear were excellent in 30,000 miles. Sold coach after 3 years so no experience after that. I would buy Michelin again. Whatever you buy, make sure the date code is as new as you can get. For me, I would not buy any tire that is more than 6-9 months old. Hope this helps.

Thanks, it does.  I previously had Michelin's on my '78 GMC motorhome (16" and not XZE's) and they rode great.   I will probably give them a shot.  

Michelin tires are made in many countries and first appeared in France by two Michelin brothers. They do have factories in China.

How would one know where the tire came from.  Might be able to tell from the bar code on the tire. China is 690–699 but only on a 13 number bar code..

13 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

How would one know where the tire came from.  Might be able to tell from the bar code on the tire. China is 690–699 but only on a 13 number bar code..

Check the sidewall.  My Continentals say "Made in USA," Toyos say, "Made in Japan."

21 hours ago, manholt said:

Why did you get rid of the 78'?  Those where great coaches!

Moved to South Florida and I didn't have a place to store it indoors.  It would have rotted in the blazing sun.  

No more than your current coach.  Up to this past month, I lived on Galveston, Island Texas...for 27 years, I just had to wash more and use past wax.  5 coaches and 2 Cigarette boats!

On 8/24/2020 at 12:07 AM, wayne77590 said:

Michelin tires are made in many countries and first appeared in France by two Michelin brothers. They do have factories in China.

All tires have "Made In xxxx" molded on the sidewall so no need for bar code translation.

I'm probably the only guy on the forum who has spent considerable time in the Michelin Rubber Plantation in S. VN...lots and lots of trees there.  We (the US government) paid the Vietnamese for every tree we destroyed.  However, I got medivaced in a Huey in Oct 1967.

On 8/30/2020 at 6:30 PM, FIVE said:

I'm probably the only guy on the forum who has spent considerable time in the Michelin Rubber Plantation in S. VN...lots and lots of trees there.  We (the US government) paid the Vietnamese for every tree we destroyed.  However, I got medivaced in a Huey in Oct 1967.

Thank You for your service !   My late Father flew Hueys there in '66-'67.  

In VN you could get flip-flops made from tires that if the strap didn't break would last a lifetime.

I don't remember seeing a brand name as they were all made from the tread but I'll wager some were from the Michelin trees!! 🙂

Edited by wayne77590