markletheridge

Radiator and Charge Air Cooler Cleaning

Time Traveler, If i remember back in those days at least before all the environmental issues truckers used to do what the fire department was doing to keep their rigs clean and SHINEY, It was the quick and dirty way so to speak of waxin the rig. Someone here will comment for sure to set us straight. 

I thought I would give an update after my cleaning chore. I had limited access from the under the bed and from the passenger side from underneath the coach. I used the engine cleaning wand at 90 PSI first with air only then with a 1/13 mixture of simple green extreme and did a thorough wash down afterwards. Without the wand, I could not have reached much of anything. Afterwards, I cleaned the same way from the back of the coach and rinsed until I did not see anything but clear water. I also got a fin kit and straightened some fins from the back side of the coach.

The result was a success in my opinion. I ran a similar route as I did when I had cooling problems. Outside air was about 5-6 degrees cooler. Prior to cleaning, temperature would range from 198 to high temp alarm which was 225 on my rig. The only way I could stay below 210 was to keep the turbo pressure below 20 PSI which is a slow climb on grade. After cleaning I ranged from 189 to 198 mostly and the maximum temperature I saw was 205 on an extended grade.

I go on a lot of dirt an caliche roads frequently so I guess I loaded the unit over time.

From now on I guess I will need to clean more frequently and for sure after I go on a long dirt or caliche road like I just did.

20 hours ago, markletheridge said:

From now on I guess I will need to clean more frequently

We have a side radiator and I clean ours annually. Its a good practice to get into! You will find over time each cleaning will loosen the stubborn particles and overtime it will eventually open it up more.