urbanhermit

Spare stowage

Anybody have any ideas about where to stow a spare wheel/tire or just a tire on a Monaco Cayman 36?  We have a motorcycle carrier in back and so can't use anything that would mount on the trailer hitch.  The Executive Department immediately objected when I suggested under the bed ("Eeew!  The smell!").  The only bay stowage I see as possible is the raised portion of the pass-through bay under the salon side-out, but I'm concerned about the tire interfering with the mechanism.  Roof?   Ugly.  Anyone solve this problem?

Edited by UrbanHermit
typo

If I were to carry a spare for our coach I would put it in the bed of the truck we tow. I would only carry a spare if we were going on a trip into Mexico or Canada where there may very little if any tires available. It would be on a rim and not just the tire. I could, if the need arise, change a tire myself but only if necessary. I have the 20 ton bottle jack but would have to purchase a 6 foot long 1 inch drive breaker bar with the correct size socket with an extension and a long cheater bar all to just brake loose the lug nuts. (maybe this is why I have no plans on going to Mexico).

Herman

I carry ours in the basement, it sets perfectly on top of the one slide out tray rails and it allows for items to sit under it. 

Its mounted on an aluminum wheel to help with the weight when I have to drag it in and out. 

Edited by jleamont

Several Safari owners made a mount and carry it up front as a bumper for the front bumper with a cover on it, It looks really pretty good. Like Herman I too could change it and for years carried a couple tire irons incase but never used them in 60 thousand miles. They are new, shiney grey and available if you need them They sit as ornaments in my shop now. Flats are very infrequent unless you travel to Alaska. So no I have to agree with Wayne. Itoo have a spare rubber tire only and it too is in the way in the shop. I think now it's time is coming soon.

With a bus conversion, I have no problem because there is a spare tire carrier behind the front bumper, which folds down just for access to the spare. But like Joe, on an older MH, I carried it in a basement compartment, and placed other objects within the tire cavity to maximize space. If one had  some type of a hoist (gin pole) that could be attached to the ladder when needed, a tire on the roof placed far enough away from the edges will not hardly be seen unless you happen to be above the roof (on a bridge, or upstairs of a building). I do carry a spare tire, not rim, although my tires are a popular truck tire size and can be found at most truck stops.

I will not travel without a spare.  Haven't in the last 45 years and 10 motorhomes.  On my current coach, 98 Discovery 36T I mounted it under the propane tank next to the engine.  To life it up into position I mounted an electric winch to pick it up from the ground to the mount.  I use to carry a 1 inch air impact wrench but just changed to a Harbor Freight 3/4 inch battery wrench which has 1400 ft/lbs of torque.

Edited by desertdeals69

4 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

I call roadside assistance and tell the everything about my tire and have them bring me one.

Me too.

When I was young I could load a 400# tractor tire into my pickup bed, have it repaired, then put it back on the tractor. Today I only lift the cell phone.

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

Bruce, let me know how the 3/4 inch battery impact works, I might look at buying one for my self.

Herman

Herman, I have 1/2 inch 24 volt battery Kobalt from Lowes impact, I also have a 1 inch air impact, the battery impact will remove anything the the air will remove, I reported theis on the forum two years ago. The battery operated one is still going strong, never even try to use the air anymore.

13 hours ago, jleamont said:

I carry ours in the basement, it sets perfectly on top of the one slide out tray rails and it allows for items to sit under it. 

Its mounted on an aluminum wheel to help with the weight when I have to drag it in and out. 

Have you considered the fact that the rear wheel studs may not be long enough for two aluminum wheels? Usually the inner dual is steel.

Richard

8 hours ago, RLS7201 said:

Have you considered the fact that the rear wheel studs may not be long enough for two aluminum wheels? Usually the inner dual is steel.

Richard

All 6 on my coach are aluminum, no steel!

Herman, Makita makes  2  1/2 inch 18 volt impacts, the larger of the two will do the job  and under well 300 bucks from FactoryAuthorizedOutlet.com. Typically the best battery buys are at Home Depot at Christmas time. Being a regular customer pays nice dividends, as the more you buy the better the discount.

20 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Bruce, let me know how the 3/4 inch battery impact works, I might look at buying one for my self.

Herman

I have used the 1/2 inch Earthquake which has 1200 ft/lbs of torque, from our shop, and it worked ok for Budd nuts and studs.  I haven't tried the 3/4 inch with 1400 yet but it will be even better.  The price for the 3/4 is $279 with 1` battery and charger in a carrying case.

Edited by desertdeals69

On 8/26/2020 at 9:11 AM, wayne77590 said:

I call roadside assistance and tell the everything about my tire and have them bring me one.

Me too! Why invest all that $$ into a spare, rim, jack, and tools, and then carry around all that extra weight criss crossing the country?

For the price of all the above you could probably pay for 10 years of roadside assist! 

Carrying a spare is all about what type of risk taker you are, as there are risks involved regardless of which side you take in this argument.

We carry a spare, and fortunately we also have a designated compartment behind the bumper for it. Why do we carry a spare, especially since I have on intention of even attempting to change it on my own?

Simple - we carry a spare because we have a tire size getting somewhat difficult to find (12R22.5) and I don't want to sit for a few days while one is found, which will be the case if we have a flat in the hinterland or on a holiday weekend. Getting someone to come help change the tire is likely going to be easy. Finding the correct tire may not be.

If you have a common size tire, and if you generally travel in places where tire dealers are going to be nearby with a stock on hand of what you will need, then it might be okay to travel without a spare. However, if you have an uncommon size or tire type it might be better to be prepared.

6 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

(12R22.5)

I use this size also, but last four are 315/80/22.5, the fit spacings are perfect.

39 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

(12R22.5)

Ditto, same size on our coach.

I will change the tire. I did use this spare once, fixed the take off and put it in the basement. Swapped them back out so all 6 matched this year and drove to Florida and back.   

39 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

I use this size also, but last four are 315/80/22.5, the fit spacings are perfect.

Coach had 315s when we got it, but the steers rubbed on hard turns, plus we have 8-1/4" rims. Proper size for us is 12R22.5 and not the wider 315.

7 hours ago, IanBullock said:

Me too! Why invest all that $$ into a spare, rim, jack, and tools, and then carry around all that extra weight criss crossing the country?

For the price of all the above you could probably pay for 10 years of roadside assist! 

I don't like to wait hours or days for help to come.  I also don.t like paying double or triple for a tire that is the wrong size.  I have less than $500 invested in all the equipment and aluminum wheel and tire.

43 minutes ago, desertdeals69 said:

I don't like to wait hours or days for help to come.  I also don.t like paying double or triple for a tire that is the wrong size.  I have less than $500 invested in all the equipment and aluminum wheel and tire.

My thoughts exactly.
There are places in the Northeast that there is NO one to come for you. Know it all too well from work. If it’s that bad in the northeast I can only imagine what it’s like out west.

Edited by jleamont

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 8:11 AM, wayne77590 said:

1 hour ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

I did not know it was an "argument" yet I do agree with desert deals and hope since I quit carrying the gear I have no problems. 

1 hour ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

I did not know it was an "argument" yet I do agree with desert deals and hope since I quit carrying the gear I have no problems. 

Well, I obviously forgot how to reply, didn't I?    That is what I expected our roadside assistant to do, and that the refused to do. "We can sent a wrecker but we can't sent a tire." 

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 10:24 AM, desertdeals69 said:

I will not travel without a spare.  Haven't in the last 45 years and 10 motorhomes.  On my current coach, 98 Discovery 36T I mounted it under the propane tank next to the engine.  To life it up into position I mounted an electric winch to pick it up from the ground to the mount.  I use to carry a 1 inch air impact wrench but just changed to a Harbor Freight 3/4 inch battery wrench which has 1400 ft/lbs of torque.

That's an idea I'm going to look into.  Thanx

Last trip out, I wished that I had a bead setter with me also. 120 miles on the second roughest interstate that i have ever driven on, my outside right drive axel tire went flat overnight at the campground in Chattanooga Tn.. I called AAA and asked for a over the road tire truck to air the tire up. An hour later a mini van appeared up with a 12 volt air pump. I laughed at the poor guy and told him that his equipment was inadequate. He got on the phone then came back to tell me that a real tire truck was on the way. Another hour passed and another no-show. I called someone myself and within 30 minutes a real tire truck appeared with a bead setter, which was needed. This team aired the tire within ten minutes and checked for leaks, which there was one. The rough road has caused the brass tire stem to beat against the rim causing a small hole to wear into that stem. Coach was never jacked up but air removed from the tire, tire broke down right on the coach, valve stem replaced then re aired the tire. Another time a spare was not needed but was there just in case.