So, I decided to buy a newer car and I bought a 19 Kia Soul. I have a question for anyone who tows one 

As long as I dont remove the key from the ignition, the steering wheel doesnt "seem" to lock - Is that the typical experience with Hyundai/Kia vehicles? 

The Jeep i have to leave the key in the unlock 1st position - i just want to make sure I dont end up dragging the hamster box - Id much prefer it to roll.  

Keon, a quick way to check would be to jack the front end off the ground and try to turn the steering wheel with the key in the  Off position. If the steering will turn all the way in both directions with the key Off then you should be good to go.

Herman

42 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Keon, a quick way to check would be to jack the front end off the ground and try to turn the steering wheel with the key in the  Off position. If the steering will turn all the way in both directions with the key Off then you should be good to go.

Herman

When I change my oil on Friday I will do that. Never crossed my mind to do that.

i’m just hoping that I don’t have to leave my key in the on position and disconnect batteries and do all of that craziness. I never had to do that with my jeeps and I did not think I had to do that with this manual transmission car either. It’s almost as if the steering wheel does not lock until I actually pull that key out and it sounds like a locking, almost relay sound. I’ll let you know and post my results

If your Kia has electronic steering you may have to have the key in the acc. position.

I had one vehicle that was four wheel drive but had a locking steering wheel. I took the steering wheel off, pulled the locking pin out and never had to leave the key in again.

Manufactures have vacillated back and forth with having steering wheel locks and not having them. 

Herman  

The owner's manual should give very specific and detailed instructions on how to set up your car to tow.

On 8/27/2020 at 1:58 PM, FIVE said:

The owner's manual should give very specific and detailed instructions on how to set up your car to tow.

I doesnt have any information at all. Not Sure Why but it doesnt ... 

On 8/27/2020 at 8:13 AM, hermanmullins said:

If your Kia has electronic steering you may have to have the key in the acc. position.

I had one vehicle that was four wheel drive but had a locking steering wheel. I took the steering wheel off, pulled the locking pin out and never had to leave the key in again.

Manufactures have vacillated back and forth with having steering wheel locks and not having them. 

Herman  

Herman ... I did what you suggested and your correct, No lock while key in ignition, locks only when Key is removed. Will be tearing bumper off this weekend for base plate install and light set up. 

Yes it has been a while. You guys have been really awesome and I can be transparent, The wife and I split and I’m now a single divorced man living in a 35‘ x 8 1/2‘ box! I’ve been full-time in since the separation but getting on things like the forums and even getting mail with both of our names on it and stuff like that really put me in a bad psychological space. Now that I’m past those emotions and I realize that I can still enjoy my camping life without a permanent life partner Makes it easier for me to do things so I’m back.

Been there done that, Keon.  At some point you may find a greater happiness that you thought could never happen again. 

Good luck with the hamster cage.

Keon, 27 years until I met, my wife now, Linda!  Jim S., was lucky, he only had a 3 year taste!  We could have had a quad ring ceremony in May! 🤣