u856787

Open Windows vs DampRid for Storage

We will be using our new 5th Wheel regularly but not full-time.  I expect to store it outside for periods ranging from one to three weeks between uses.  We have a breathable cover.  For maintaining the interior, is opening a window and a vent for cross ventilation better or should I close everything up and place two or three buckets of something like DampRid throughout?  Thanks!

I have always opened the roof vents with everything shut down (HVAC), unit plugged in. During summer I will set the roof vents to automatically open and the fans to come on above 90 degrees.  Winter storage I just leave the roof vents open. 

Covers are always a debatable topic...I'll leave that alone.

Our coach is stored outside. We have a few fresh air inlets for the HVAC system which are in protected areas and left open. We leave the MaxxAir vent on auto - it comes on in the afternoons when temps warm up. The coach is plugged in with the battery charger on float. That's all we do to keep things from becoming too humid and it seems to provide enough air flow.

We had a 5th wheel until 2006. We had installed at home a 50 amp box and kept the heat pump set at 80in summer, and 50 in winter. We did put a cover on it and stopped the heat pump but the cover caused problems.

We found that keeping it uncovered and the heat pump on kept the  moisture problem taken care of completely. External surfaces and undercarriage sun and weather on it ad the tires though..s owe keep our Mh indoors away from home. A metal building originally design fro a car port or something is what our Neighbors keep their 3 axle fifth wheel in and plugged up. Solves all the weather problems. It cost him about 6,000.00 total but he put it together and poured his own pad.....20 years ago.

DW uses DampRid buckets. Once she used the DampRid that hangs on the closet rod. one leaked into my elephant skin boots and ruined them, the leather got hard and shrank where it got wet with whatever chemical in in DampRid, that caused the switch to the buckets. If you leave windows open whatever the ambient humidity so will be everything in the RV, which invites mildew and mold in humid areas of the country.

A side note; After inventing a dehumidifier Mr. Carrier thought of a use for the chilled air. Running the A/C on low reduces humidity first, chilled air is a side effect.

Edited by rayin