drogers

Converter/Charger

When plugged into shore power, but with all circuit breakers off except to Converter/Charger, should my power panel show a steady 5 amp draw?  I have a 30 amp coach.  I am hooked up to my home 15 amp service and am using a 30 amp to 15 amp plug.  Also, house plug shows correct polarity, but when I plug in the coach the surge protector shows reverse polarity.  When I have all the coach breakers on except for the Converter/Charger (charger is off), and the coach remains plugged into shore power, the surge protector shows correct polarity.  Am I correct to conclude that there may be a problem with the converter/charger?

When plugged into shore power, but with all circuit breakers off except to Converter/Charger, should my power panel show a steady 5 amp draw?  A converter/charger is there to charge your batteries, so yes there probably will be a draw, depending on the rate of charge how much amp draw. Are the batteries being charged properly?

Do you have a converter charger? These only charge your batteries.

Or do you have an inverter/charger? These charge the 12 volt batteries/ or supply 120 volt to appliances upstream.

Try Charging the Batteries then plug into the 15 amp plug and then see if your surge guard read correctly. You just may have low battery voltage and it put too much draw on the circuit.

drogers, What kind of RV are we talking about? If a travel trailer it may be a Converter/Charger. If a Motorhome it may be a Inverter/Charger. 

Herman

2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32 V Workhorse (gas) motorhome

This is from OP's other post.

After going back to the spec sheet for this coach, unless has been changed out, a converter/charger is correct. Yes there should be a current draw because all this device does is charge your batteries. I don't see why there would a reverse polarity to show up at the CG pedestal when the c/c is plugged up because nothing can change at the initial plug in, and no AC can come from any other source. Reverse polarity can only come from hot and neutral being reversed in an AC circuit.

Edited by kaypsmith