davidsuzanne

Suggestions for our first greater than a month adventure

Hello everyone,

We are about to enter a new phase of our RV lives. My wife is retired and I will retire in January.  We will be camping in one of our favorite spots from late September to early October the DAKS.  In February we want to start 6-8 week adventure starting in the Philadelphia area.  Any suggestions on must see spots heading south and west starting in the middle of winter in the NE.

All the best

Dave and Suzanne

David and Susan 

The middle of winter is a not a time to be heading south. 

However going to Perry GA for the FMCA National Convention in March  would be a good start. 

Congratulations on both of your retirements.

Herman 

1 hour ago, DavidSuzanne said:

In February we want to start 6-8 week adventure starting in the Philadelphia area.

You must be in our area. If that were me I would wait for the roads to be clean after a rain and point that coach south and don't look back! Campground selection will be limited so you might be able to get to the bottom of AL or top of FL but it sure beats being in the NE!

I wouldn't run it with calcium chloride on the roads and start the rapid decay process on your motorhome or you'll be replacing it long before its time. 

If you’re going to wait until March. A nice trip south would be getting onto 13 in Wilmington and follow it south. Lots of small towns, beaches, state campgrounds along the DELMARVA, then cross the bay bridge and again follow 13 to 17 along the coast. You’ll eventually end up in Myrtle Beach where there are several large campgrounds right on the beach as well as Murrells inlet. Great seafood in that area.

Florida has nice state parks but reservations are a must along the coast. We’ve camped at Anastasia State Park and Gamble Rogers state park. Both have sites large enough for MHs.

but traveling south in March might be to your advantage as snowbirds are headed the other way starting around that time.

In Georgia you have the Okefenokee Swamp if you are adventurous. There’s a state park on the west side near Waycross where you can rent canoes etc to explore the swamp.

Edited by campcop

Leave earlier and head to Fla or Arizona or wait til there is an opening in the weather and have a couple long days driving to do the same. We live in Colorado and usually head out somewhere around the first of January heading to Arizona for the winter and till the snow is about gone in May.