a1kaching

Home base

There are books written on this issue. They state ratings with various measures such as: Taxes, health, climate, etc. We bought one several years ago, but I am sure it is out of date now. 

All kinds of information out there. Many articles suggesting the best states on news feeds with all the info you are looking for and as Ross suggests countless books. Seems to me I have seen several at Camping World on the book shelf.. 

Florida is a good state, no income taxes, and lower priced RV tags. Property tax is about mid range in comparison to other states. This is not a suggestion, just a state to look at while comparing apples to oranges, and depending on your end goal.

Before we can really answer your question, it would help for us to know what you consider to be the major factors in your decision making process. Are you looking for lower taxes, open skies, less congestion, nearby large cities, warm climate, 4-season-climate, etc. etc. etc. While there are some factors which seem to be attractive to most people asking your question, it's not the same for anyone. As we start thinking about where to be once retirement comes around some of the factors for us are how livable the area is, whether or not it's convenient to the places we'd like to travel, is it possible to live there comfortably in all seasons if necessary, and of course cost of living. Taxes are a mixed bag, as in some places with low taxes you pay by having a lower level of services available. This is okay if you don't need those services, but if you rely on them then maybe not.

In other words, it depends.

Many in the RV world use FL, TX or SD as their domicle. I chose SD because the sales tax on the purchase of my rig was lower, they have no income tax, I don’t need a special drivers license to drive my Class A DP, and I can registure by mail without an inspection. 

Texas by choice!  House, barns, etc on 12.87 ac. all we do is feed the wildlife & that makes it ag exempt...taxes $417 a year!  A fish camp on 3 ac and barnominium for $345 a year in tax...200 miles south of home!  Only thing is coach lic goes by weight, $978 a year, no income tax!  😁