Riggydog09

Charging house batteries

Welcome to the Forum.

If your have the coach plugged in then Yes you may leave the inverter/charger turned on. A lot depends on where you live. If you live in a very cold climate and totally winterize it then I would be sure the batteries are full of water and fully charged and then disconnect the ground cable then let it sleep for the winter. 

I keep our plugged because I keep items in the refrigerator. Our coach is stored in my insulated garage/barn only 50 feet from our back door. 

It is helpful if you lets us know what kind of RV you have then we will have a better idea of what we are dealing with and someone with the same RV may have had your same issue.

Again Welcome,

Herman

It all depends...

Generally speaking, there is no harm if things are working properly and if you make sure the batteries are topped off with water before storing.

If you are not in an area with freezing temps, you could just make sure the batteries are charged and disconnect them. They should stay charged up for a few months without a problem if they are in good condition.

If it might be below freezing, a fully charged battery won't freeze. Makes me nervous though, so I keep mine plugged in and the charger turned on. I do check on them from time to time to make sure that nothing's gone wrong (no leaks, voltage looks proper, etc.) If I couldn't go check on them I'd probably opt to just pull the batteries into the garage and leave the coach unplugged.

You'll get lots of opinions on this, most of them will be quite viable options.

We live in PA, winters can be tough but not as bad as other parts of the country.

Our coach had flooded batteries for several years. I would top them off and keep the coach plugged in for the 5 months it remain parked outside. Every two months I would check the water level. My charger remained on “float” most of the winter. Every spring I would equalize them. Our charger did a fantastic job keeping the batteries happy and I got 9 years out of those batteries. 
I swapped those out for AGM’s 2 years ago, changed the charger settings and only open that compartment to clean them and check the torque on the cable studs twice a year.

If it gets cold and you do not keep it plugged in pull the batteries and take them inside, keep them charged with a battery tender or you risk them freezing. 

6 hours ago, Riggydog09 said:

Should the charger/ inverter be left on while my Coach is stored to maintain the house batteries ? 

Welcome to the forum. I  leave it on and the coach plugged in.

Bill

The real trick is check them as suggested above every couple months and be sure they have adequate water. They do not like being dried out. Good wet cells will last 9 or 10 years properly cared for.

On 9/5/2020 at 3:15 AM, hermanmullins said:

Welcome to the Forum.

If your have the coach plugged in then Yes you may leave the inverter/charger turned on. A lot depends on where you live. If you live in a very cold climate and totally winterize it then I would be sure the batteries are full of water and fully charged and then disconnect the ground cable then let it sleep for the winter. 

I keep our plugged because I keep items in the refrigerator. Our coach is stored in my insulated garage/barn only 50 feet from our back door. 

It is helpful if you lets us know what kind of RV you have then we will have a better idea of what we are dealing with and someone with the same RV may have had your same issue.

Again Welcome,

Herman

We have a 2007 United Specialties 

Dog, I will have to admit I had no idea what a United Specialties Coach was so I looked it up. :huh:

It is a nice looking Super C. So again, Welcome to the Forum with your nice looking Super C. :)

Now back to your question, If you have power that you can plug into when in storage it would be a good idea to keep it plugged in with the inverter on. That way your Batteries will be maintained and charged. It would also be a good thing to check the batteries every 5 to 6 weeks for water levels and cleanliness.

Herman 

I have AGMs so I leave the charger on and the inverter off.  No point in the inverter being on, I check the coach every few days.