Riggydog09

Storage of the Coach

Most SMC Safari coach folks with the Velvet Ride do lift the coach and take the biggest part of the load off the suspension. Me with an air suspension generally bleed the system to zero and let it sit with rubber pads under the wheels when for an extended stay. Many of the air suspension coaches will retain their air supply for a very long time and just let them sid aired up. Supplying your coach info will lead to more accurate information. 

31 minutes ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

Most SMC Safari coach folks with the Velvet Ride do lift the coach and take the biggest part of the load off the suspension. Me with an air suspension generally bleed the system to zero and let it sit with rubber pads under the wheels when for an extended stay. Many of the air suspension coaches will retain their air supply for a very long time and just let them sid aired up. Supplying your coach info will lead to more accurate information. 

Interesting - I've heard both sides of this. Some say that leaving air in the air bags keeps them from developing folds & weak spots, and others that leaving air in them in storage needlessly stresses them. Have you seen anything definitive on this or recommendations of air bag manufacturers either way?

I leave the weight on the tires and have plywood pads under them. I dump the air and let the coach set on the bump stops during storage. Fortunately it doesn't sit to long we got back from a trip on Sep. 3 and plan to be on the road the 23. I haven't had any problems with the tires. 

Bill

No Richard I have not. My perspective alone based on mechanical sense of 40 years in the automotive fields and 74 years of a pretty good sense of common sense. That said when I got the Panther the bags on the front frame (4) had been for the most part 20 years been folded an odd uncomfortable, unevenly collapsed form, yet the rig had only 12k on the odo. I did not like the perceived potential and replaced them. In fact they were probably fine, no cracks or visual degradation, but I replaced them anyway just because, it is a Bill Thing. I like and am comfortable with being very proactive in terms of maintenance so fewer issues on the road. It is easy enough to spend money on this thing  regardless of circumstance.  I believe they are designed to fold evenly around.  To fold with a kink and sit for years probably not healthy.

My manual says put the jacks down, that's what they are for....I also have the tires on plywood on top of concrete.

If you leave your tire load on your tires, I suggest you inflate to the tires to the inflation number molded on the tire sidewall. This will lower the bulge of the sidewall and decrease the "flat-spotting" of the tread.