kickaha

Snow load

We are full time in our Itasca Ellipse 42QD. That said, this will be our first winter where snow will be a consideration. I’m worried about the weight of snow on the slides. How do others deal with this, other than packing up and heading south. Can’t do that since I am working in snow country this year.

Weight of the Snow on the slides I can not answer but here is what I do know. We have an older coach so the reference may be skewed. Slide side walls are not in our case insulated like all other walls as in not at all and the ceiling certainly is not. Sitting with the slides out is almost like having a window open, like being in a heat sink. One just doesn't feel the wind. The heater source may keep up with the chill but will work a lot harder using more propane or other. We pull the slide in to keep it warmer and cozier. Some coaches have an winter package that aims to insulate the coach better. If it enough snow to creat aproblem there are jacks made to place under outer corners of the slides to support them. They are fully adjustable.

Edited by RSBILLEDWARDS

Go to YouTube there are several post about wintering in a RV. I don't know as I don't do snow in the RV.

I would get setup now with a propane dealer with a couple big tanks. 

Bill

Edited by WILDEBILL308

The problem I see is with the slide toppers. The weight of the snow will certainly make them sag and eventually stretch. The only thing I can think of is to support the toppers and brush off the snow when you can. I’ve seen some folks put beach balls under the toppers.  :)

we got stuck in the snow last Thanksgiving , it was wet and about 3”. The toppers were sitting right on top of the slides.

kickaha.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

Are you all electric?  Where will you be all winter?  

Sorry, but we don't do the snow thing, by choice!  If you have 4 slides, beach balls will work...if it's 2 + full wall, the balls will not work for wall.

We have 3 slides, one of which is a full wall slide. The only propane use is our range for cooking so we’ll be ok there. Our main heat source is the diesel fueled furnace but we also have an electric fireplace that does put out heat plus a portable electric heater from out TT days. I imagine I’ll need to re-fuel more than once during the winter. The basement is heated plus we have an Aqua Hot water system that I think will add additional heat to help keep the gray & black tanks from freezing. We do have a heated water hose. 

We will be in Golden, CO all winter. Weather charts seem to say that the temperature won’t be all that cold, but there will be snow. Slide toppers will be an issue (just replaced them a couple of months ago) and snow weight. Maybe garbage bags filled with styrofoam peanuts for the slide toppers and jacks ( as mentioned by RSBILLEDWARDS) if the snow gets too deep? 

Don't worry about snow loads here as they have become quite light over the last 15-20 years. Might have a couple heavier snows in Nov or December beyond that March and April are the snowiest for accumulation on this side of the mtns. Me I would pull the slides in for the few hours the snow is projected for and then reopen. The least insulated are the slide's roofs and end walls. This way no cooling coolant sitting on the roof or wear and tear to the toppers. No not me making the peanut suggestion but a good one. I do not have toppers on my rig so would not think that way. You might add your coach info as the supplied info will be more accurate.