seynel8228

99 pace arrow v10 battery & Charging

I have a 99 36z arrow vision. I couple times I found the batteries  dead. I had plug the cord and get the engine running and after a while ran the generator to keep them charged.  Today I try to do the same but the generator won't start.  I drive out and the motorhome died on me while driving. The transmission  start acting  weird, the gen never start but I told it will drive good with the alternator. Obviously  the alternator  is no good. I have no charger on except  for the engine. And the cabin ac. There is any way to jump the generator  to star? I know I can run the MH on the gen. Thanks

Welcome to the FMCA discussion forums!  In my opinion your first step is to have your starting battery tested to determine it's condition, and buy a new battery if it does not pass the test. Then after the battery is charged, disconnect the negative post until you have repaired the alternator.

Yes, you may jump-start the genset from either a battery charger with a boost setting or from a different vehicle.

Repairing/replacing the alternator would be next after replacing the bad batteries.  The bad batteries likely caused the  alternator to fail, specifically the voltage regulator module.

As Ray said, Welcome to the Forum. Some good advice from Ray and I would like to add one thing. If your alternator is found to be bad, consider installing a higher amperage alternator, It may cost a bit more but you will faster charging.

Do you leave the coach plugged into shore power when in storage? If not I would do as Ray said, when putting the coach up for a while make sure the batteries are fully charged and disconnect the ground cable on both the chassis and house batteries.

Again, Welcome

Herman

Well i just bought  the coach. The 2 chassis  6v batteries are new F20 shows the sticker as well as the engine 24 group deep cycle. I try to jump the the generator  right  straight  to the positive cable on the gen but won't  crank. Can the low voltage make my transmission  disengaged? The battery  gauge was showing  not charge when I first start today. I have to plug it to start. After a it runs for a little  it came back to changing position but after 10 minutes  drive the transmission  stop and everything  happens. Which battery power the generator  to start? Thanks

The engine battery is probably the wrong size, it should be a group 27 or 31.  Also it should be a starting battery not deep cycle.  Usually the generator starts off the house batteries.  With the engine running the battery voltage on the start battery should be over 13 volts, the same for the house batteries.  If you have to replace the alternator get the highest amp that will fit.

First CHARGE all the batteries. I'm sorry but you can't do any test till you have fully charged batteties.

You may find the only problem is Dad batteries. 

Let us know what you find after the batteries are charged.

Herman 

First problem the hpuse battery  where wired wrong. Coming positive  cable coming on in the negative of the bat connector connected  on series coming  out on the positive side  to the negative  cable. I have try to get the 6 volts change for the last 4 hours they are just 40 % have it on the rig the right way but I can get the battery switched  to came on. Same thing  with the chassis they said it charge full but I can get the switch on no power on the engine or generator. Can something  else be wrong.? Will a secondary generator be enough  to power the original  gen on? I know with the gen running I can get back home. Thanks  guys.

20200909_143927.jpg

If the picture is showing how the batteries were wired then they are correct. The house works on 12 volts. And to get 12 volts out of two 6 volt batteries the two 6 volts must be wired in series.  If you parallel then all you have is 6 volts.

Sorry you don't have a secondary generator. You have an Alternator on the engine and coach generator. Do you know how many amps you auxiliary generator out out.

Herman   

I enlarged your house battery picture, and as Herman said they are correctly wired. The engine starter battery as DD69 said is too small for the job. As Herman said you need to disconnect the engine battery and put a good charger on it to try to bring it up to maximum voltage (at least 12.8) rested, then have the battery checked with a reputable checker to determine if the battery is good. A bad cell in the battery will cause the alternator for the coach to falsely try to overcharge because the battery is not coming up as it should and will eventually ruin the alternator. Also though, a bad connection to the battery, either positive or ground, can cause the battery to not charge correctly. A bad connection can be at either end of the cable, not just the battery end, this is especially true on the ground connection.

Ok update. . I finally figured out  the problem. On the house batteries they are just 40% charge but they where wired wrong. The red cables are ground(neg)On the very left and the very right black single cable is the +(positive). I get them right and plug a construction  gen and get the coach gen running.  Now I still have  no luck starting  the engine. I try the aux start  and no crank.  I wi keep the gen running hoping the chassis  battery get charged. Definitely  I'm  Getting  a regular chassis battery  instead  of a deep cycle. So far generator running everything  looks fine except  no cracking or clicking  or anything  on the coach engine. Thanks 

Somebody sure did some funny wiring, red in most cases indicate positive, and black normally is negative. Glad you were able to figure it out, just make sure that those red wires are attached to the chassis and not the generator/alternator. I haven't seen positive ground on anything except military vehicles/generators in years. Some of the pre 12 volt farm tractors (6 volt) used positive ground. LOL🙃

Well so far batteries  full. I found the aux start solenoid is not working g but the  chasis baterry is 100% tested a 700 cca and good. I get a fresh number 7 blowing. It should be the starter  fuse since I didn't  a test and it blows right when you switch  the starter to cranck. I'll said the firewall relay/solenoid when out. My boy was the one start the engine that day and he leave stuck for a moment. Im still have to figured  out the charging  problem  after I get it running. 

Well it looks I have a problem on the BCC. I finally get it to start new firewall  solenoid the old has a switch connector grounded. I got it running the alternator  is charging 14.3 volt. The issue  with the power shows today again. After 10 mins drive to pump gas the cluster turns crazy the something  on front of the driver side start clicking. Looks like the BCC or something on it. After that I get no power to the gen-set infact my house 110 volt start flickering and the generator  will kill them when I try to start it. Tomorrow  I'll take it apart i post picture for a future troubleshooting. Thanks you all if anyone have any feedbacks they are welcome. 

3 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

What is a BCC?

Wild guess but I think he is talking about the Battery Control Center.

Many of the problems are from not having adequate 12 Volt power to operate the controls/circuit boards. Op may have damage some stuff with the batteries hooked up backward.

Bill

Well the BCC like Bill said is the battery  control center a black box under the hood.  On my case is labeled  f73-1020. Bill point is true low or reverse battery can be a problem, but my issue start actually   before my first post. I keep losing  all the battery power from chassis  and house battery after 2 days of the🔌. If i don't run the engine or keep it  plugged even when everything  isn't  be used  my batteries  will died. I also found that my house batteries  and chassis  battery  won't linked together  due to a possible  fail on the hatching solenoid  inside the BCC. Now my next step is to pull out the BCC  to rebuild  the solenoid and fix the feeds coming  to the solenoid. The battery  wiring  to it is a hazard since the bolts feeding the  battery power to inside the box have skinny plastic grommets  that become melted and can fried  the hole coach.  I'll keep taking pictures and maybe  a video. If anyone  have any ideas to share we are welcome to have them. Thanks guys

Edited by Seynel8228