michiganron

Tech Connect+ Alternative Devices?

In preparation for beginning a full-time adventure with my family, I recently signed up for Tech Connect+ and received our Inseego MiFi 8000 hotspot. It seems to be working just fine. However for reliability for work, I require redundant internet connections. I will likely be signing up for a Verizon or AT&T hotspot as well.

To make it easier for my family to use, I would like to use one router for both 4G accounts. Is it possible to transfer the Sprint/T-Mobile SIM card from the Inseego MiFi 8000 to a more robust cellular router, or am I limited to using the hotspot?

Thanks,
Ron

Tp-link makes a very good load balancing multi wan router, very inexpensive, and is capable of combining up to 4 incoming wan's (internet providers). https://www.amazon.com/SafeStream-TL-R600VPN-Broadband-throughput-Concurrent/dp/B007B60SCG/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi6L1npfd6wIVCr3ACh0JpgJHEAAYASAAEgL-DPD_BwE&hvadid=232554843091&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9012455&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=10510855631575181003&hvtargid=kwd-360969681247&hydadcr=18040_9812732&keywords=tp+link+load+balancing+router&qid=1599692586&sr=8-2&tag=googhydr-20 You can find instructions in the router literature, or on youtube. And if you still need help, you can PM me. There are other brands available, but I have very good luck with these and they are less expensive than most. The key is load balancing, multi wan.

On 9/9/2020 at 6:07 PM, kaypsmith said:

Tp-link makes a very good load balancing multi wan router, very inexpensive

There are lots of load balancing routers on the market.  Spend some time and find one that fits your budget.  Currently, I use three cellular connections plus a park wifi in a load balancing router.  Even though load balancing doesn't increase the absolute speed of your connection, it does act as if there are parallel "pipes" going to the internet from your device.  The bottom line is that more data (think "water") can flow if there are more pipes going in the same direction.

One thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to take the SIM and put it in a new modem/router.  In many cases you can tether your existing hotspot via USB and achieve essentially the same result.

Edited by docj

On 9/9/2020 at 1:20 PM, michiganron said:

In preparation for beginning a full-time adventure with my family, I recently signed up for Tech Connect+ and received our Inseego MiFi 8000 hotspot. It seems to be working just fine. However for reliability for work, I require redundant internet connections. I will likely be signing up for a Verizon or AT&T hotspot as well.

To make it easier for my family to use, I would like to use one router for both 4G accounts. Is it possible to transfer the Sprint/T-Mobile SIM card from the Inseego MiFi 8000 to a more robust cellular router, or am I limited to using the hotspot?

Thanks,
Ron

Hey Ron, did you get an answer to your question?  I just picked up a PepWave Transit Duo for exactly what you're talking about and am wondering how easy it is just to move the SIM over to the new device.  ~ Phil 

I received an invitation from Verizon to move to an inhome wireless Plan for $60.00 per month, touting unlimited internet for television and any other internet that one would like to use it for. And of course, since it is over the 4G cellular network, can be used anywhere that the cell signal can be accessed. Speeds in excess of over 100 mbps. Good to know that moving phones to 5G will open up 4G equipment for internet use. 

I just purchased the Pepwave Transit Duo.  and i put a roof antenna on for it.   It will take 4 sims.   Can i either put the sprint sim in it?  or Tether the pepwave with the FMCA hot spot?

Who else has comparable deals that i could use for sims for the pepwave, like the FMCA Sprint deal or the calyx deal?   thanks  Chuck

I purchased the Pepwave Transit Duo and a SIM Card Adaptor kit.  When I use the Sprint SIM Card in the HOTSPOT device from FMCA sprint works well at most locations.  When I put the SIM Card with the Adaptor kit in the PEPWave Router - the router will disconnect and reconnect about once a minute.   Has anyone else ran into issues using the FMCA Sprint SIM Card in other devices? What was done to correct the situation?  

38 minutes ago, lynandvictor said:

I purchased the Pepwave Transit Duo and a SIM Card Adaptor kit.  When I use the Sprint SIM Card in the HOTSPOT device from FMCA sprint works well at most locations.  When I put the SIM Card with the Adaptor kit in the PEPWave Router - the router will disconnect and reconnect about once a minute.   Has anyone else ran into issues using the FMCA Sprint SIM Card in other devices? What was done to correct the situation?  

Cellular devices have numbers associated with them that are called IMEI (International Mobility Equipment Identifier).  The IMEI unique identifies a particular device.  If is quite common to have specific cell phone plans be associated with the IMEI of devices authorized to access the plan.  It sounds as if your Pepwave is not an authorized device for the FMCA Sprint plan and, therefore, the network is disconnecting it.

Edited by docj

Sorry if I'm a bone head or something, but why is there no obvious answer to the question of:

Will the Sprint FMCA Tech Connect+ sim card work with the Pepwave Transit Duo or not?  Are there additional hoops that have to be jumped through to get it to work?  Is it as simple as pull it out of the MiFi they gave us and put it in the Pepwave (using their simcard adapter) and go?  Or do you have to call FMCA tech support to give them the IMEI of the Pepwave to get it to work?

Thanks in advance for any forthright answers provided.  🙂

Edited by ERIC2875

8 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

Why not call FMCA tech support direct? 

I was hoping to hear testimony that it's been done and it works to mitigate the risk of a $1500 spend on something that's a shot in the dark.  Even if they say it should work, does it really?

Edited by ERIC2875

4 hours ago, ERIC2875 said:

I was hoping to hear testimony that it's been done and it works to mitigate the risk of a $1500 spend on something that's a shot in the dark.  Even if they say it should work, does it really?

Probably because no one else on hear has felt the need to spend $1500 on something that's a shot in the dark. My Inseego MiFi 8000 hotspot. It seems to be working just fine.

Bill

14 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Probably because no one else on hear has felt the need to spend $1500 on something that's a shot in the dark. My Inseego MiFi 8000 hotspot. It seems to be working just fine.

Bill

Thank you for your really helpful, insightful answer.  While the device may work fine within it's limits, it is inadequate to support my needs.  

I have a WIFI Ranger Aspen with Cat 6 modem and I put the FMCA Sprint SIM in and cut the Speed Test to less than 7.  I borrowed a Pepwave with two Sim Slots with Cat 4 modems and acted the same as in the Aspen with speed test of less than 7.  I put the FMCA Sprint SIM back in to the INSEEGO m2000 and I got speeds of over 160 and at times over 200.  Either of the Aspen or the Pepwave were 5g capable and M2000 is showing a 5g connection.  I also read on Pepwave forums that the FMCA Sprint SIM doesn't play well unless it is in the device it was shipped with.  

Tomorrow I will be try a Peplink Surf SOHO MK3 Router.  It doesn't have any modems but I going to try to connect via USB, Ethernet Wan, and WAN over WIFI.   We will see if I can get the performance out this that I need.  So FAR the best preference has been with a WIFI Ranger CORE router that over 5 years old LOL.

On 10/7/2021 at 6:43 PM, cwswine said:

So FAR the best preference has been with a WIFI Ranger CORE router that over 5 years old LOL.

The Core router doesn't have a modem, therefore,  the speed you are seeing has little to do with the device other than as a passthrough.  If you update the Core to WiFiRanger's newest firmware release (7.1.0b11) you will notice improved throughout through the use of an process known as FAST--NAT which bypasses the CPU thus, resulting in higher throughput speeds.

11 hours ago, docj said:

The Core router doesn't have a modem, therefore,  the speed you are seeing has little to do with the device other than as a passthrough.  If you update the Core to WiFiRanger's newest firmware release (7.1.0b11) you will notice improved throughout through the use of an process known as FAST--NAT which bypasses the CPU thus, resulting in higher throughput speeds.

The Aspen as a WIFI WAN is still degrades the M2000.  I turn off all the features that I purchased the Aspen for and still the Aspen only runs about 20 to 30 on speed test and 160 when on the M2000. I have the Beta software on the Aspen and the newest software on the Core.  I have not got the new non beta software for the Aspen but before it goes in the trash I will give the final release a shot.  I have reset the Aspen to factory defaults several times but doesn't seem to help.

Edited by cwswine