cvdell

New Tire Questions

Tires are 8 yrs old, time for new.  Last were purchased via FMCA program, seems more difficult this time.  FMCA  shows a couple Hankook options, which seem like a good value for my needs (tires that will get 40k miles in 8 years, then be aged out).  Two questions:

1)      My current load range F 245/70/19.5 adequately carry my weight.  I set tires are at 80 – 85 PSI for my weight; max for LR F tires is 95 psi. Dealer (Pete’s Road service) says he can only get my size tire in "AH35", he doesn’t understand the 3 models from the FMCA quote. That one tire only comes in LR H for my size.  I wouldn’t mind going “up” one LR, from F to G – just in case.  Anything wrong with going to H, as long as I still inflate to correct pressure for my weight?

2)      Dealer says he will match FMCA prices, without me bothering to register credit card with FMCA. Seems easier.  But he charges $70- per tire for mounting, balancing and valve stem.  That’s $420 for 6 tires. Is that reasonable?

Thx,

Cliff

That's about what I paid for mounting and balancing.

About the tire models, download the Hankook tire book from their website. It will be the definitive guide to the various sizes and load ratings available.

Looked more closely at Hankook and BFG web sites, found LR G tires from FMCA quote are no longer are made (FMCA quote info is mostly obsolete). Only option in size and and LR I want is Continental (which is a little more costly). So back to original question, am I likely to notice ride degradation by going from LR F to H?

My understanding is that a tire with a higher load range has a stiffer/beefier sidewall. One would think that it results in a harsher ride. But, in many cases you can use a lower pressure in the tires with a higher load rating which counters the harsher ride.

I recently switched from 315s on our coach with load range L to 12R22.5 with a load range H. My initial thought was that perhaps the ride would be softer, but then in the end I run at slightly higher pressures and the ride in not any different than before.

This is my experience, and I'm sure others will have a different take on things.

Have you compared the air pressure which will be required in the new tires vs. what you run in your current tires? I'm guessing that it will be slightly lower and might counteract the slightly stiffer tires.

8 hours ago, Cvdell said:

Looked more closely at Hankook and BFG web sites, found LR G tires from FMCA quote are no longer are made (FMCA quote info is mostly obsolete). Only option in size and and LR I want is Continental (which is a little more costly). So back to original question, am I likely to notice ride degradation by going from LR F to H?

I ran Continental load range H on my last coach and it called for load range G. I did not notice any problem with ride. Like Richard said go weigh your coach and use the manufactuers weight/ inflation table for your air preshure.

Bill

Heavier sidewalls that flex more usually generate more heat. I'm running LR H, placard calls for LR G, ride is a bit harsher. I was offered LR L for a great price but was wary of the much heavier sidewalls making a very harsh ride.

On 9/10/2020 at 8:24 PM, cvdell said:

Tires are 8 yrs old, time for new.  Last were purchased via FMCA program, seems more difficult this time.  FMCA  shows a couple Hankook options, which seem like a good value for my needs (tires that will get 40k miles in 8 years, then be aged out).  Two questions:

1)      My current load range F 245/70/19.5 adequately carry my weight.  I set tires are at 80 – 85 PSI for my weight; max for LR F tires is 95 psi. Dealer (Pete’s Road service) says he can only get my size tire in "AH35", he doesn’t understand the 3 models from the FMCA quote. That one tire only comes in LR H for my size.  I wouldn’t mind going “up” one LR, from F to G – just in case.  Anything wrong with going to H, as long as I still inflate to correct pressure for my weight?

2)      Dealer says he will match FMCA prices, without me bothering to register credit card with FMCA. Seems easier.  But he charges $70- per tire for mounting, balancing and valve stem.  That’s $420 for 6 tires. Is that reasonable?

Thx,

Cliff

You only "gain" anything from going up in LR is when you increase the inflation. It is the air pressure that supports the load not the tire construction.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:25 PM, rayin said:

Heavier sidewalls that flex more usually generate more heat. I'm running LR H, placard calls for LR G, ride is a bit harsher. I was offered LR L for a great price but was wary of the much heavier sidewalls making a very harsh ride.

Where are you finding the information on "heavier" sidewalls?  Higher Load Range can be achieved in a number of different ways. Without seeing the actual specification and actual test results and an actual tire section there are just too many assumptions being made.  I once was able to "upgrade" a LR-D to a LR-E in LT type tire with only a change in the bead wire.

1 hour ago, tireman9 said:

Where are you finding the information on "heavier" sidewalls?  Higher Load Range can be achieved in a number of different ways. Without seeing the actual specification and actual test results and an actual tire section there are just too many assumptions being made.  I once was able to "upgrade" a LR-D to a LR-E in LT type tire with only a change in the bead wire.

I forget where I read that Roger, it was long ago It could have been so long ago it concerned bias-ply tires. Should I forget about that? The LR L tires I was offered were Firestone for the same price as the Sailun LR H tires.

I remember reading on your website more sidewall flex generated more heat.

Edited by rayin

1 hour ago, rayin said:

I forget where I read that Roger, it was long ago It could have been so long ago it concerned bias-ply tires. Should I forget about that? The LR L tires I was offered were Firestone for the same price as the Sailun LR H tires.

I remember reading on your website more sidewall flex generated more heat.

Yes in the "old bias tire days" the number of body piles would increase with an increase in "ply rating" i.e. Load Range.  

One main difference between Sailun and Firestone is there is no dealer network with tires in stock for Sailun.

Yes in general more flex does generate more heat IN THE SAME TIRE. Without data I don't know how we can make a comparison between different tires especially across manufacturers.