john_harris

Magnum ME 2000 inverter issues

Magnum inverter/charger in our 2007 HR recently started shutting down giving us "internal fault 1" code while on generator. I powered down, did a hard reset and all seemed fine for while but next day and again day after, had similar issues but reset cleared code and all was fine. Batteries (flooded Crown 235 amp hrs) are approaching 8 years but holding charge overnight even running a recently installed residential refrigerator. Got home and everything seemed to be fine while on shore power for next few weeks. Hit road again and has similar issues while on generator but figured once I got to full hook up, 50 amp service, everything would be OK. Not the case, now fault occurs withing 5 mins of powering up either on generator or shore power. Reset clears fault but not nor long. Powered everything down now. I did observe that one of the batteries appears a bit swollen but water level was fine. Curiously, the AC unit continues to run even after the inverter cuts out. Apparently the AC units are bypassed and directly feed by shore or generator? unfortunately Refrigerator is not but I am guessing that is because of my choice of which plug I used when powering frig when i switched from the old gas/elect. Could not find fault codes for Magnum. 

So, does it sound like inverter is the issues or perhaps is a dead or shorted battery is causing the fault?  

Batteries ck electrolite for specific gravity to see if batteries/one of them is faulty.  Good choice on batteries I think but next time use 260s, better yet.I too use them now 6 years old. I would then call Magnum or Tekris in Phoenix once you eliminate the batteries.  I missed the swollen battery bit, it may well be the culprit but the ck suggested will tell the tale. In that case time to change them all as another will go and then take them all and the new one. They are all out of warranty any way by 4 + years. They served you well 

Edited by RSBILLEDWARDS
CARL!

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Swollen battery needs to be replaced.  You might also want to replace all or bench test the others!

X2! My inverter/charger was over-charging both battery banks and acting strange, I used my cheap Harbor Freight 100A load tester and quickly discovered one in the house bank was internally shorted. Replaced both battery banks and immediately my Xantrex RS2000 inverter/charger began working as designed again.

Edited by RayIN

How many amps is the generator, and how many amps is the residential refrigerator? Low AC voltage can cause a fault in the inverter also. I agree that the batteries should come under scrutiny also. But those AC's kicking in may be causing low voltage from the generator at times, at least try running the fridge on the genny instead of the inverter for a period to see if it corrects the inverter problem. 2000 watts is a pretty small inverter, depending on what ever else is on the inverter could be well overloaded, 2000 watts is only about 17.5 amps @ 120 volts.

Thanks for responses. Yes, I know batteries were on borrowed time but had one more trip scheduled before putting coach to bed for winter and was planning to replace next spring. Crown 260's are on order. Generator is 8 kw and has held up running both AC's and MW at same time in the past. New refrig is Samsung and says 5 amp draw max. I was only running ac's when on shore power anyway,  so not sure that was an issue. Will see what happens when new batteries arrive. 

Do you have the battery temp module installed? That has given some problems in the past but for sure a pregnant battery isn't a good thing. Also, the air units do not go thru the inverter

For what it is worth.  I am having problems currently with my inverter electrical system Xantrax 458 2000.  Just had it bench tested and all is fine.  Was told by one distributer that temp sensor was all important and must be installed in order to maintain warranty.  Stopped at Xantrax national headquarters in Elkhart last week and the guy there sort of laughed at the statment.  In fact said there was also an internal temp sensor built into the Xantrax inverter so in fact it was not absolutely essential.  I sort of suspect your problem is battery related.  As one commenter indicated AC units should have nothing to do with it as they will not go through the inverter.  I suppose if you did have them running full bore at same time as lots of other things were running it is possible voltage/amps could be lower than needed but frankly I think that is unlikely particulary since you said you did not have AC units going at same time.  Wish my problem was that simple.  Been to two major Xantax repair guys now and a splendid RV electrician and still struggling with my problem.  Paul