kc559moho

mech. oil gauge on diesel pusher

Thanks for the input Herman and wildbill , sorry I didnt leave more info . 99 National Tradewinds  36'6".Autometer gauge has 1/8" fitting  on back. Iran at 1100 PM for about 5 minutes before it started dripping . put it back together and gradually got to 50 psi but that seems too slow. cat 3126 ,fresh oil ,no leaks. could manifold be plugged on the outlet I used. Dash gauge responds fairly quick but it's just a low or high gauge . ( reason I went with a mech.gauge.

Are you talking about a mechanical gauge in the engine bay or up front in the dash?

If it's in the engine bay, I'd check for something in the manifold blocking the works. My engine bay gauge mounts directly to a small oil pressure manifold block on the bulkhead. The 1/8" line should be adequate, if the path is clear.

If you're talking about having a mechanical gauge on the dash with tubing running all the way back to front, then I would expect there to be quite a delay in the reaction time. Probably why electric gauges are usually installed.

Unless there is air trapped in the pressure line, the response time should be minimal. Oil does not compress significantly and 50 psi on one end of the tube should transmit to the other end quickly. 

Just my opinion 

Ronnie 

thanks for the input . I took both ends loose and put air to it and still just drips . checked oil manifold and all is clear. so I tore 1/8 " copper tubing out and increased tube, block fittings and final conn. at gauge  all to 1/4 " and works great. after further inspection of 1/8 " that I removed I found 1 spot where it was oval instead of round , definitely not kinked but it was enough. I would strongly recommend 1/4" tubing for anyone  who wants a mech. gauge on their dash when it's a 40 ' away from there motor.

They used to put both - I've got an electric on the dash for regular use, and a mechanical wet gauge in the engine bay. The mechanical one is more reliable and helps when there is any reason to question the electric.

On 10/2/2020 at 8:31 PM, richard5933 said:

They used to put both - I've got an electric on the dash for regular use, and a mechanical wet gauge in the engine bay. The mechanical one is more reliable and helps when there is any reason to question the electric.

Good idea! Given the distance from the dash to the engine I would be concerned of that capillary tube failing over a basement or at some point between the engine and dash, not knowing about it until you see oil running out of the basement or worse, when the engine runs dry and locks up.