desertdeals69

air bags

checked into a campground and my air dump is not working.  I started it this morning and the tanks aired up but when I move the lever to the right the bags don't air up.  When I move the lever to dump there is no air sound.  Any Ideas.  Freightliner 36 ft Discovery.

No,  they won't inflate but I have tank pressure.  I think its the dump valve assy because it won't inflate the bags.  When I bought this coach it had just under a 100K miles and the air driver filter had never been changes.  I think some debris maybe contaminated the system.  It has worked ok for over 3 years, 20K miles, since I changed the filter.

Agreed service interval.  Valves are not complicated, at least what is on my Panther. Take them out and blow them clean. It may be the solenoid needs replacing or the point filed if serviceable at all. 

Edited by RSBILLEDWARDS

Problem solved. Did not have any thing to do with the dump valve.  Turns out right front air bag split.  Replaced the bag today and it seems to be working fine.

1 hour ago, desertdeals69 said:

Problem solved. Did not have any thing to do with the dump valve.  Turns out right front air bag split.  Replaced the bag today and it seems to be working fine.

Yes I can see how that would cause a problem.

Bill

On 10/2/2020 at 7:14 PM, desertdeals69 said:

DD, how old was that bag? 

Joe, his signature indicates a 1998 MH. MIne is a 1999 Spartan chassis, I will be inspecting my air springs soon as a result of this thread.

1 hour ago, RayIN said:

Joe, his signature indicates a 1998 MH

Yeah, I saw that but DD did took this coach on as a resto/mod build. 

13 hours ago, jleamont said:

DD, how old was that bag? 

1998.  Lived a full life!  I was talking to my friend who is the service trainer for Spartan chassis and he said somewhere around 10 years is the expected life of a bag.  Some go a lot longer.  I am going to replace all four bags when I get home.  I just installed a used bag I carry with me.

11 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

around 10 years is the expected life of a bag

WOW you did good! I got lucky with ours then, Installed 7/2001 (DOB) to this past spring I replaced all 8. 

Edited by jleamont

I just inspected the air springs under our MH, all are smooth, no cracks, creases, folds, or anything. I'm going to hold off replacing these originals for the present.

Thanks to all for this discussion, my bags are almost 19 years old. I am the second owner and know they are original. Since their are 10 of them I plan on buying new ome a couple at a time and next summer having them installed. 

Good topic that all with air ride RVs should heed. 

Herman 

I have a 1999 Renegade on a FL80 Freightliner chassis 

I replaced the 4 bags  two years ago and they had deep cracks in them 

You have a choice of quality  go for the best as they are not much more 

I replaced all 8 of mine two years ago and all 8 shocks, they were 30 years old and one of the left drive axel bags developed a leak. Ride improvement as well.