eric@babin.com

TOTAL LOSS OF POWER WHILE DRIVING / 2005 WINNEBAGO VECTRA 40AD / CUMMINS 400HP

First symptom: ABS light came one. No loss of power.  Pulled up to get gas, coach died.  Started up fine.  Got up to pump, lost power leaving pump.  Drained fuel filter, ran fine for a couple hours / hundred miles.  Parked for 1 week, started, ran fine, about 20 miles into drive stopped at a signal and coach died. Pulled out into traffic in turn, and it died, but ran fine after sitting for 30 seconds for about another 60 miles it died going down interstate going at about 65mph.   While coasting to a stop it started back up on its own and took an exit.  During the turn at the exit it stalled again…. Started back up and got to a parking lot.  Every time at this point I’d tried to start it would start and die. This was at a Travel America stop….. I cleaned off battery terminals, waited 2 hours, and began the trip… heading to an RV park… about 10 miles down the road it stalled again…. Got it started again, did the rest of the 1 mile trip to the RV park and parked for 2 days.  Started RV and ran about 18 miles to an RV / Truck repair no problems…. Replace all batteries (coach / and chassis).  Battery connections may have been a problem according to RV repair….. leave there, 3-4 miles later it dies again.   Now, sitting on side of road waiting for two truck. 

Have you called the Freightliner 24/7 helpline. The ABS may have set a code that can help identify the issue. Sounds like a fuel issue but the ABS light throws a wrench into the equation. You said you drained but didn't change the fuel filter. I would change it.

18 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

Have you called the Freightliner 24/7 helpline. The ABS may have set a code that can help identify the issue. Sounds like a fuel issue but the ABS light throws a wrench into the equation. You said you drained but didn't change the fuel filter. I would change it.

Both fuel filters have been changed since first symptom.

Without reading the fault codes from the engine and ABS we would be throwing darts in a dark room. Changing the fuel filters was a good call, since it didn't resolve the issue fault code diagnosis is the only path to take. 

Wait for two truck. :wacko: I know what you meant.

Eric does your coach gradually loose power or is it instantly? If gradually it could be in the fuel (injector) pump. If it is instantly it could be in the fuel solenoid. It may be not holding. As Joe said checking for codes would be the place to start.

Could you see any crud in the filter when you changed them out? It could be algae in the tank. Just another thought. 

Good luck,

Herman  

When I had this issue it ended up being algae in the fuel and plugging the filter. Had to change it 3 times before all the crud was out. This was on a used rig we had just purchased and drove 800 miles before it started happening.

Does a 2005 have ABS. I don't think my 2006 Journey had ABS . . . Could be wrong.

Edited by sstgermain

4 hours ago, sstgermain said:

Does a 2005 have ABS

My 2002 has ABS and Automatic Traction Control. I guess it depends on the manufacture.

I got the ABS Fault yesterday....will have it looked at Monday!  No problem with driving 389 miles over the "good/bad and ugly" roads to I-40 in Sherman, AZ, then on to Grants, NM...took 115 gal of fuel at T/A in Gallup, NM.  Got no codes!  Alto, NM is 214 miles today.

The ABS system does not affect the engine, nor does it affect braking ability. The light on simply means you  now have the same type brakes as a vehicle without an ABS system.

This is just my guess since we do not know the brand or model of the drive engine; perhaps Eric will bless us with that vital information.

If this is a fuel problem, restricted fuel flow, the lift pump is sucking air, or if the engine is pre-2003 (assuming a Cummins diesel) the fuel distributor module on the CAPS injector pump may be failing, as it is powered by 12V.

Or, the fuel shutoff solenoid may be intermittently losing 12V power because of a broken wire or loose connection. It is held open via power from the ignition key so engine gets fuel.

8 hours ago, RayIN said:

The ABS system does not affect the engine, nor does it affect braking ability

Only on newer Freightliner chassis will it matter. Some genius decided to remove the output speed sensors from the transmission and utilize the ABS sensors to monitor vehicle speeds. It happened on the newer Freightliners built around 2015 and up will die without ALL ABS sensor inputs. The system is not smart enough to acknowledge that the other wheels are providing a reading and it must be a defect, nope you are shutdown! .ABS light on, the throttle is cut out now, all you get is idle! 

Thanks for educating me Joe.

Of course my old ABS system is not like that, however I wonder if the same trick might apply to getting a wheel sensor working again. My auto mechanic told me to use my pressure washer on straight stream and wash the backside of each wheel, from the opposite side of course. He said road debris can clog the slots in the tone rings, which activates the ABS warning light.

I did that and now my ABS dash light now only comes on at startup check functions. I used the pressure washer in 1013, no re-occurrence since.

Some design engineers think they must create job security by coming up with new ideas, even though it is not an improvement.

1 hour ago, RayIN said:

Some design engineers think they must create job security by coming up with new ideas, even though it is not an improvement.

YUP! Less components but the shifted the responsibility to a less reliable system. 

Hopefully Eric chimes in soon to let us know what was the cause of his issues. 

Edited by jleamont

On 10/5/2020 at 8:31 AM, RayIN said:

I used the pressure washer in 1013, no re-occurrence since.

WOW! That was a looong time ago. LOL!😀

11 NOV 2020 UPDATE:

Hello everyone.  My name is Danny.  Eric B. posted this for me since I wasn't a member of the forum yet, and I wasn't able to login initially cause of the server updates. My coach is still in the shop, going on 6 weeks now.  It is in a small mom and pop truck/rv repair shop in Oxford, AL, however they were recommended to me by a tech at Cummins Birmingham.  They have chased ground wires, replaced relays and fuses, and the ignition module I believe, with still no resolution.  Last week they told me they thought it might be a computer problem.  The coach will start just fine, but dies right after putting it into gear.  It will usually move a few feet, but that's it.  Total loss of electrical power as if someone turned the key off.  No warning or indication lights, just complete failure.  When I was stranded on I-10 about 6 weeks ago, I had the emergency flashers on, and when it would die after trying to start, even the flashers would turn off until it reset, 15-30 seconds.  So it doesn't seem like an engine problem, but likely chassis.  Also, there is no chassis shutoff switch on this coach.  Concerning the ABS issue Eric mentioned, the ABS light only flashed once about 50 or so miles before the first failure, which was a few hundred miles before the interstate breakdown. The time between failures, though, has gotten progressively less until it has gotten to where it is now.

The shop in Oxford is still stumped even after consulting with another local diesel shop.  I have called Winnebago and Cummins and they have said they can't help me cause it sounds like a chassis issue.  The shop says they have reached out to Freightliner but received limited help.  I called Freightliner In Birmingham thinking maybe someone there has experienced this before.  They told me I could have it towed there and wait for service, but they said that none of their mechanics actually had any experience on the older Classic Chassis, and didn't really sound very confident.  The only other shop around is a Gander RV, which used to be Camping World.  

I feel like I am at the mercy of a small shop that can't resolve this , with with no real viable alternative.  If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.  Even a repair shop that might consult that has worked on these older chassis's?  Surely this can't be the first time this has ever happened.  The Winnebago is the full time home for me and my two dogs, and I have spent the last 6 weeks bouncing between hotels and friends.  Thank you to everyone that responded in the past.

Danny Rosado

I had a similar situation several years ago, it turned out to be a break in the wire between the fuel relay and the valve that holds open flow of fuel to the fuel filter. I was lucky and found the break and spliced in a short piece of wire that resolved my problem. I live just out of Birmingham please PM me some info such as e-mail and or phone number, I may be able to help.

2 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

I live just out of Birmingham please PM me some info such as e-mail and or phone number, I may be able to help.

Sounds like someone with a volt meter and some time on their hands needs to chase the power and grounds around the chassis power distribution center. 

UPDATED:

danny this might not pertain to your chassis, as I have a Spartan chassis.

About 3 years ago we stopped at a rest area, when I started the engine to leave just as soon as I pushed D on the transmission pad the engine died and all power to the cockpit was lost. After 10-15 minutes the power cam back and I started the engine, pushed D and the same thing happened. That repeated about 5 times.

I called roadside assistance, who sent a mobile mechanic. He had me show him all the battery connection points on our MH and he tested each one. He found the problem on the firewall where a battery cable attached to a distribution box, the retaining nut was about to fall off it was so loose. He tightened that nut and that problem has never repeated.

Perhaps my experience will be of some use.

Edited by rayin