rayin

NTSB on tire aging and service life

This NTSB pdf was created in 2014 so there may be more current data. It has a slide/chart (near bottom) showing tire company death and injury claims. I found it interesting Continental consistently did better than Michelin. 

Edited by rayin

On 10/26/2020 at 10:02 PM, rayin said:

This NTSB pdf was created in 2014 so there may be more current data. It has a slide/chart (near bottom) showing tire company death and injury claims. I found it interesting Continental consistently did better than Michelin. 

Interesting report that basically says passenger and Light truck tires should be removed from service before year 7.  RE the observation on the "death and injury" chart is only reporting total number not the rate. Without the sales number making a conclusion can be very misleading.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:02 PM, rayin said:

..... I found it interesting Continental consistently did better than Michelin.....

On my study, I found that virtually every RV tire I have had was cheaper and "did better" than Michelin.

FIVE, That's something most all of us can agree on!  Too many times, RV owners swear by what comes from manufacturer, you must replace the same brand as needed.  From tires to fridge.

People tend to follow the masses. Same with Tow bars. Doesn’t mean they are better quality just better advertising. 

Edited by jleamont

Learned that with blue ox, bought one in 2007, 10,000# for my 2500 Duramax 4x4, had a part break and took it in for service and replacement of part at a FMCA winter rally in 2010 cost me $85....Had my 2006,  6,000# Roadmaster serviced in Perry, Ga. in 2018 and it was beat up, they replaced everything but the body, including  both cabless, best price ever, zero!!! I gave the tech who spent an hour in the rain $100.  I still have it, the blue ox I gave to Herman!   Blue Ox spends a lot on advertisement.

Joe, Demco spends nothing and its a top 3!  Go figure...

Same with tires.  Michelin spends a ton, yet hardly nothing on BFG and BFG is a better tire, so is Continental, TOYO, Yokohama, Kelly, they all last longer on sidewalls and at least you get more than 5 years, 6-7 has been my avg on the once I have had over a long period of RV ing!  I have not had TOYO on any coach, bur I run NITTO by TOYO on all 4x4 that I have owned.   

I checked my tires every spring when I pull out the supports 

I replaced my continental HSR  tires with date code 2011 and they still looked good and did not want to take a chance as I went across Canada  4500 KM one way in the heat of summer 

If I lived or used my rig down south I would have to replace a lot sooner 

8+ years!  Sorry, I would not go beyond 7 under any circumstances!  At 6 if I see no cracking or spider webs on sidewall, I'll take coach to tire dealer and let them take a tire off and remove same from rim...what you can't see on the outside, you can see on the inside!

For all you non metric knowing....100 KM is 60 miles, 4,500 KM is 2,700 miles!

I live in Canada and we are cooler and the normal usage is Moab at Easter so mostly cool running  and short camping trips in the summer 

Parked in the shade  never parked more than a month with out being off the ground  

They still had no cracks but changed anyway