karitoki

New Owner of an Older Class A

Greetings. This past week I purchased a 1994 Coachmen Santara 35' diesel pusher. My wife and I weren't planning on buying such a big rig (though we'd talked about it over the years) but this one kind of fell in our lap. While looking for a 20-24' TT to replace our tent trailer, I stumbled on this rig on CL. It had 14,800 miles and the original owner was asking $13,500.00. Long story short, I got it for $8,500.00. Roof needs some work, new tires (on order $1,750.00) and four deep cell batteries ($450.00 from Coscto) just to get started. I've got a mobile diesel mechanic coming over on Saturday to change the oil and filters and give me some pointers. My wife and I are looking forward to running the wheels off this thing next year. Looking forward to being a member of the forum.

IMG_0455.jpg

Congratulation! Wishing you both many happy miles in the new rig.

I've also got a 35-ft coach and think that it's a great size. Big enough for comfort but still small enough to get in relatively tight campgrounds.

Welcome to the Forum! :)

If you have a question, we're here to answer  Enjoy your new ride...I think you'll like it better than a "Tent Trailer!" :P

There are many great utube videos to help with the learning curve. I suggest these to begin: How to drive a motorhome, then hand signals for backing.

There are a multitude of these videos however there is no substitute for experience, find a large vacant parking lot for practice turning sharp corners around cones and backing between lines.

Edited by rayin

On 10/27/2020 at 5:14 PM, jleamont said:

Welcome! That’s an amazing story, sounds like you got a great deal!

Thanks! From all the people I've talked to it looks like we have. Make no mistake, this rig needs some TLC and even with that will never be pristine. However, dropping $50k on a motorhome would never be a reality for us, so we can overlook a some imperfections to be in the motorcoach "game". I figure as long as it's mechanically sound and safe and clean we can enjoy it just fine. If we really catch the "bug" and decide to go full-time, maybe then we'll make a bigger financial commitment. Thanks again! 

On 10/28/2020 at 6:43 AM, manholt said:

Welcome to the Forum! :)

If you have a question, we're here to answer  Enjoy your new ride...I think you'll like it better than a "Tent Trailer!" :P

I think we will too! Thanks!

On 10/27/2020 at 6:22 PM, richard5933 said:

Congratulation! Wishing you both many happy miles in the new rig.

I've also got a 35-ft coach and think that it's a great size. Big enough for comfort but still small enough to get in relatively tight campgrounds.

Good point! Do you have a newer rig or an older one? If older, have you ever had campgrounds deny you access because it's older?

22 hours ago, rayin said:

There are many great utube videos to help with the learning curve. I suggest these to begin: How to drive a motorhome, then hand signals for backing.

There are a multitude of these videos however there is no substitute for experience, find a large vacant parking lot for practice turning sharp corners around cones and backing between lines.

Good idea!. I just heard back from the tire shop and the tires are in. Unfortunately, the soonest I could get time off the bring the rig in is next Friday. By then I'll have had the mechanic take a look at the brakes (pedal goes almost to the floor before the brakes fully engage) and do an oil/fuel filter change on it. 

8 hours ago, karitoki said:

If older, have you ever had campgrounds deny you access because it's older

NO. Ours is a 2002 and We have stayed at Many resorts with a 10 year rule. They ask for photos, I email them in while on the phone and I always get "no problem, see you in...."

This motorhome is good on a few levels.

• You are in it for not a lot of money
  • You can customize it to you likings and make it something that you cannot purchase without a ton of money
  • Non emission engine = dependability once you establish a baseline on maintenance
  • Non Electronic fuel injection engine, even better yet! 
  • Maintenance costs will be much more cost effective, simple is cheaper to repair
Edited by jleamont

10 hours ago, karitoki said:

Good point! Do you have a newer rig or an older one? If older, have you ever had campgrounds deny you access because it's older?

Ours is 46 years old and we have never been turned away. I've seen rules enforced at some campgrounds for things like no broken glass, no tarps on roof, no missing body panels, etc. As long as your coach looks well-kept and isn't dragging pieces behind it most campgrounds will have no problem.