ckmillard3

How does Maryland's EZPass work when towing a 5W

I have an EZPass transponder issued by Maryland for my 2-axle truck (tow vehicle). When I am towing my 2-axle 5th-Wheel, I have a total of 4 axles. Do I need a special transponder for the 5th-wheel IN ADDITION to to transponder for the truck? How does it work in Maryland?  Also, is there a specific set-up I would need to have (Example: two transponders, one for truck and one for 5th-wheel) to travel in other states that except EZPass?

You are going to have to call the EZ Pass office.  Some systems have an axle counter and adjust the fee accordingly.  Some places you will have to go through the pay lane.

Ken

I have had a MD EZPass for the entire 10 years we have been full-timing.  I have one on my 2-axle MH and one on my toad.  When I'm towing I put the toad's pass in foil.

I have asked the MD toll authorities several times about whether or not i need a special transponder for the MH.  I have been told that I don't.  The number of axles is counted correctly >90% of the time and once, on the PA Turnpike, I was accurately charged for our weight.

Welcome to the forum. I haven't towed a 5th-Wheel, so talking to E-ZPass would be the best answer. I got my pass in NH at a walk in service center. My instructions were to put the toads pass in the foil packet to shield it  and when being towed it would be charged at a lower rate of a trailer not a car. 

So it would appear you only need a transponder for the truck and they automatically charge you for the trailer when towing. 

Let us know what they tell you.

Bill

With most EZ pass accounts, trailers just simply have to be listed on the account as a trailer (PA has a drop down for what type of vehicle it is, enter in year, make and model and of course the license plate information). Otherwise you will get a fine when utilizing a toll road plus the toll. Oddly Maryland is the worse on the fines, got out of and argued many until I found what I had to do to correct it. 

Edited by jleamont

I have the NC Quick Pass and it works in 18 states. Transponder was $7.95 a few years ago.  Transponder goes in MH, TOAD get counted.  Parked in an RV Park transponder goes in TOAD and works just as well.  Charge accordingly and appropriately.  Consider a search on NC Quick Pass/EZ pass and call them. You may want to switch out unless you stay in MD.

NC Quick Pass/EZ pass

Edited by wayne77590
Added URL

On 10/29/2020 at 10:47 PM, wayne77590 said:

I have the NC Quick Pass and it works in 18 states. Transponder was $7.95 a few years ago.  Transponder goes in MH, TOAD get counted.  Parked in an RV Park transponder goes in TOAD and works just as well.  Charge accordingly and appropriately.  Consider a search on NC Quick Pass/EZ pass and call them. You may want to switch out unless you stay in MD.

NC Quick Pass/EZ pass

I was considering switching my EZPass from MD to NC until I noticed that NC charges $1/mo if there are no toll charges in 24 months.  By comparison, I think MD charges $1.50/mo for 3 months with no toll charges but then the charges stop.  Even though it's not a big deal of difference, with NC I'd have to buy new transponder and that costs $20 for the first two.  

The only real functional difference I can see is that the NC pass works in GA and FL but I don't go through those States very often.

Why would you need two transponders.
Doc, are you thinking of the $20 to populate the account?
I only paid $7.40 for the transponder. They also send a window sticker but I was told to not use it, just transfer the transponder back and forth between vehicles.  Towing with the transponder and having the sticker on the TOAD would confuse the booths and charges for both could be incurred.  The go by # of axles, so my rig get's charged for 5 axles. (MH - TAG, and TOAD)

Edited by wayne77590

We've always had transponders in the MH and the toad.  While the toad is being towed the transponder is in a foil pouch so there's no double counting and no confusion.

I guess we could live with one transponder, but Maryland didn't charge us for them so it was no big deal

As for the cost of the NC transponders I have attached a screenshot from the NC website.

ncpass.png

I don't know why, but this is what I find clicking on the NCQuickPass web site.

NCQuickPass.jpg

Doc, I'd call them and speak to them about it. I found them very helpful on the phone. You don't need to commit, just ask questions.

Edited by wayne77590

Thanks for the info.  At the moment we aren't going anywhere because of the COVID situation.  We're going to stay in TX over the holidays and will Facetime with the family instead of being with them   Our MD transponders aren't costing me anything at the moment so I have no urgency to change.

4 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Why would you need two transponders.

We have two. One in toad one in coach, believe it or not the tolls are cheaper that way.

I had the Motorhome as 4 axles to include the toad. I was being double charged for the toad. It would ping the coach EZPASS then see the toad license plate and charge that license plate. I caught on, complained and was told my only option was to not assign any Ezpass to the toad. The problem, we use the Ezpass in the toad when not in tow.

12 minutes ago, wildebill308 said:

Yep we put the one in the toad in the bag when towing and we are charged like it is a trailer. 

Bill

That’s how it’s supposed to work. Double check you bills. 

I have. 

What makes me smile is the people who say they are just going to not use any toll roads. It just shows me they have never driven in New England on non toll roads. Last year I tried to go  from the Newfound Lake area cross lots to Maine. It was doable but slow on extremely narrow roads with no place to pull over and no usable fuel stops. 

Bill 

40 minutes ago, wildebill308 said:

What makes me smile is the people who say they are just going to not use any toll roads.

Yeah, I am probably as far south as you can get by without an Ezpass. 

I think the whole East can be a problem. They have the history of small crooked roads that use to be horse and wagon roads.They also have the most old narrow, low bridges with low load ratings. Newer roads are subject to the modern standards but the old roads are "grandfathered" in to the system.

Personally when I am headed someplace I would rather pay the toll and have rest areas with fuel stops I can get in and out of and adequate parking space and places to eat if I want. Once I get in a area I want to stay for awhile I park my condo and go explore in the toad.

Bill

Last year, coming back to Main from Canada, we used one toll road around Boston.  That was it.  All nice roads, until we got down to Memphis. :P

4 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Turf wars is the main reason.

5 hours ago, docj said:

Thanks for the info.  At the moment we aren't going anywhere because of the COVID situation.  We're going to stay in TX over the holidays and will Facetime with the family instead of being with them   Our MD transponders aren't costing me anything at the moment so I have no urgency to change.

Don't blame you. Darn COVID is keeping us in but maybe Nov we will go somewhere for a "fix."  If'n you get down Galveston way, we are only 14 miles up on the mainland.

5 hours ago, jleamont said:

We have two. One in toad one in coach, believe it or not the tolls are cheaper that way.

I had the Motorhome as 4 axles to include the toad. I was being double charged for the toad. It would ping the coach EZPASS then see the toad license plate and charge that license plate. I caught on, complained and was told my only option was to not assign any Ezpass to the toad. The problem, we use the Ezpass in the toad when not in tow.

Joe, That is excactly how NC QuickPass/EzPass works for us with 1 transponder. When towing the transponder is in the coach and the TOAD gets treated as a trailer. Both coach and toad are registered with the one transponder. When we set up camp we transfer the transponder to the TOAD for running around and sight seeing. Don't need the added expense of a second transponder.  This is how the power that be told me to use it.

5 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Yep we put the one in the toad in the bag when towing and we are charged like it is a trailer. 

Bill

See my reply to Joe.

8 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Don't blame you. Darn COVID is keeping us in but maybe Nov we will go somewhere for a "fix."  If'n you get down Galveston way, we are only 14 miles up on the mainland.

Joe, That is excactly how NC QuickPass/EzPass works for us with 1 transponder. When towing the transponder is in the coach and the TOAD gets treated as a trailer. Both coach and toad are registered with the one transponder. When we set up camp we transfer the transponder to the TOAD for running around and sight seeing. Don't need the added expense of a second transponder.  This is how the power that be told me to use it.

See my reply to Joe.

PA Ezpass is supposed to work that way and it does in PA and DE, MD you pay 4 axles on the coach (that’s the type of transponder we HAD) and then it see’s the Jeep tag, didn’t see a transponder, realizes it also has a Ezpass so it billed us for it also. So I paid for the Jeep twice. All the while the Jeep transponder was in the foil bag in the glove box. 

I fought this EVERY DARN TIME IN MD. The last time I was told just swap the coach Ezpass to cover the coach and let the Jeep ping it’s own. Been doing that for two years and no issues.