dsabers

tow-bar recommendations

Same here, only I tow a 2013 Silverado 4x4 K1500 that weighs 5,800# empty and I often carry a couple hundred # of "stuff" in the bed. I used to tow a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee, using a Roadmaster 7,000# tow bar. That setup worked fine until the Jeep was wrecked. The Roadmaster bar was not sufficient to tow my truck, I don''t like to use anything at its maximum continually.

I bought a used Blue Ox rated for 10,000 lb then had it serviced and re certified by Blue Ox at a FMCA rally. I always recommend that you get at least a 10,000 lb rated bar, that way if you happen to need it (have something heavier to tow) you don't have to buy a new towbar.

Bill 

Roadmaster, for Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Gladiator and Ford Expedition, never a problem!  Also have had a Blue Ox for a Chevy Duramax 2500!  The other one that I would recommend is Demco

Edited by jleamont

Thanks for the thoughts. I am doing as well as can be expected. I am walking more each day, am getting my apatite back and my strength is getting stronger each day. It looks as if I may get some new cloths. The day of surgery my weight was 215, this a.m. it was 191. Feeling great but I don't recommend it as a diet.

Hope to see you all down the road.

Herman 

Quick update, as previously mentioned I purchased the Blue Ox Avail tow bar. This weekend we took a short trip and I can say it made all the difference. It is easy to hook up and disconnect the pick-up and it towed like a dream. Day and night difference from the dolly we were using before. I highly recommend it if someone is in the market for a tow bar for a pick or large SUV.

IMG_8047.jpg

IMG_8048.jpg

Dsabers, Just a suggestion when un hooking. Start your toad/truck, put it in drive so that it puts just the slightest preshure on the tow bar. Now put it in park. Now when you hit the release levers on the tow bar the truck is in a "neutral position" so it is ease to pull the pins to disconnect. The second thing the truck is in park and won't roll.

Bill

12 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Dsabers, Just a suggestion when un hooking. Start your toad/truck, put it in drive so that it puts just the slightest preshure on the tow bar. Now put it in park. Now when you hit the release levers on the tow bar the truck is in a "neutral position" so it is ease to pull the pins to disconnect. The second thing the truck is in park and won't roll.

Bill

That's how I unhook in front of our house since the coach is pointed up hill, makes a big difference. 

6 hours ago, jleamont said:

That's how I unhook in front of our house since the coach is pointed up hill, makes a big difference. 

It is amazing to me how many people I see having a problem geting their toad un hooked. I have seen the pins that have been hammered on till they were mushroomed. 

Bill

Hooking up I connect everything the slowly back the TOAD.  Earlene watches the pop-up levers. One will always pop up. For the one that doesn't I just turn the steering wheel in that direction and off we go, or sometime she will stand there and I'll nudge the coach forward a little. Works every time.

For those instances that a pin is to tight to pull out I just start the engine and turn the steering wheel one way or another and it loosens the hitch.

p.s., Earlene stands outside and does a light check before ever departing a campground.

Ditto!

Back, before we had todays set up, I had an "A" frame tow bar (not the fold up kind), that was 90% NO FUN.  Then they came out with the fold up, not much better! :wacko:

Dennis, I just ordered a Cricket RX-5, which Jeep do you use?  I also bought a 2020 Jeep Gladiator.

Herman, the Roadmaster is easier to set up and lighter in weight...we sold Linda's Blue Ox for that reason!  They both give good service. But, Blue Ox charges for a re build at Rally's, Roadmaster does not.

8 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Dennis, On Monday the OP said that he had bought the Blue OX Avail and even showed some pictures.

If you don't mind me asking why did you change tow bars?

Herman

I have what looks like a crack in the Avail tow bar that Blue Ox says they had heard of happening.  Here is the post that made me take a closer look at my Avail.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/blue-ox-avail-failure-511636.html