Sign in to follow this  
robh

Batteries overcharging

My 2000 Patriot Thunder. Dash is showing 18 volts charge while running. Monitor panel shows fault while running or on shore power. 

Greetings to a fellow owner of a 2000 PT.  It's a small club!

Does your Silverleaf system still work?  What does it say the voltage is while the engine is running.

22 minutes ago, docj said:

Greetings to a fellow owner of a 2000 PT.  It's a small club!

Does your Silverleaf system still work?  What does it say the voltage is while the engine is running.

What does your Silverleaf voltage read ,like doc asked? 

A alternator output voltage of over 14.5 will create an error, what is the alternator voltage reading? I have had that issue when the  alternator regulator diodes failed.

A high DC voltage reading  while on Shore Power can be caused when the Charger / inverter setting is wrong. 

Rob, Have you replaced the house and or Chassis batteries before this issue appeared?

A little more information from you would help. Who's charger inverter is installed in the coach? Is it OEM or has it been replaced or updated?

Rich.

Silver leaf does not work. Monitor panel shows 13.5 on house and coach batteries. Batteries were replaced last year. Not sure which inverter it is but will check. Monitor panel shows a/c fault on shore power, not sure if this is related.

it is indeed a small club Doc, we have covered 6200 miles this year and have not seen another one.

Before spending money I would look to the most likely cause, a faulty battery will draw more charge than a sound battery, especially a shorted cell- regardless of age. If they are FLA, how long since the liquid level was checked?

Edited by rayin

Inverter/charger must be set for the type of battery you installed. FLA or AGM.  Have you tried a hard start on your SilverLeaf?

Depends upon the year/model.  Google Silverleaf for your model or call them for instruction.  I have a control box in a bay, with a on/off switch, my coach is all electric and everything from chassis sensors to house is controlled by the Silverleaf...not an easy learning curve!  Yours is much simpler design.