Sign in to follow this  
elizabethmeyer

HDMI over cat converter/extender/splitter

I have a 2015 Tiffin with two 1x8 (4 ports unused on each) HDMI over cat converters/extenders/splitters. One just fried and one power module just fried leaving me with one working one. I want to replace both because they run hot and are notorious for breaking. Tiffin has a replacement that is a 1x4 that runs much cooler but sounds like it is a bit pricey. Haven't called them yet this morning to find out because the problem just surfaced over the weekend. 

Has anybody replaced these units? If so what with and do you need to pull the TVs to replace the cat to HDMI receiver at the end of each cat run (if there is one)?

I know almost nothing about this stuff other than what I researched last night trying to find a replacement. Everything I've found seems to have a central converter/extender/splitter box that requires a powered receiver at the end of each cat run.  

Mark

Edited by elizabethmeyer

I assume that you are talking about cat 5/6 ethernet converter, if so, no you will not need to  replace the cat to hdmi converters at each tv, unless they are also fried. Here is a four port splitter that should work well if the cable is cat 6/7. https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Splitter-Multiple-Single-Management/dp/B07NQPHG1R/ref=asc_df_B07NQPHG1R/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309770211034&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10530547586836232902&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012456&hvtargid=pla-680067009003&psc=1 To tell what cat #, simply pull out a short section of the wire, it is marked about every two feet, cat 5e, 6,7. Make sure that the splitter will handle the cat # that you have in your coach.

Edited by kaypsmith

6 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

no you will not need to  replace the cat to hdmi converters at each tv, unless they are also fried. Here is a four port 

So to be clear,  the OREI transmitter is compatible with the Tripplevision receivers installed at each tv?  Thanks for the reply!

Mark

Sorry for the misinformation, yes, if you change either brand or model splitter, you will need to change the receiver also, which should be pretty easy to do in most cases. The new transmitter does come with the comparable receivers. The plugs/rj45's are the same and will not need to be replaced.

Was hoping that statement was correct and I didn't have to change receivers.. Would have saved having to remove and reinstall 3 tvs to be able to get to the connections. At least that's what the task looks like after an initial inspection. 

Mark

I don't know what your triplevision receiver looks like, but most are usually located in a place where an IR remote can be used, if this is the case, then an HDMI cable and an adequate length ethernet/cat5/6 cable should already be in place. If this is the case, then there should be no need to move the TV. If this is not the case, then I would make sure to put the new ones back making sure that it is an easy replacement in the future. Most receivers have an HDMI female, and an RJ45 female on the receiver. RJ45 looks like an oversized phone jack.

image.jpeg.faf7c856ad1f826a5bb4f25f699020a4.jpegThe transmitter splitter is the large box at the top, the smaller ones are the receivers, all connections showing are RJ45, on the other end is an HDMI connection, which uses a standard HDMI cable from TV to receiver. 

I'll find out this weekend when I search for the receivers. I don't see any access panels on the cockpit or outside tv which is why I'm thinking I have to remove them to access the receivers. I think there might be an access panel under the main tv but don't  know for sure.  Even if I have to remove them, they're fairly light, just awkward.

Thanks for the pictures. Very helpful.

Mark

Mark,
A little different system with my HDMI Matrix but connectivity should be the same. The Cat 5 cables should already be run to all the remote IR extenders.  All I had to do was 'mark' (read that again, 'mark') the cables on the back of the HDMI 4 x 4 splitter, unplug everything and install the new one.  I also replaced each IR remote. I only have 3 TV's. I removed each IR Remote, unplugged the cables (Only should be two, Cat5 and HDMI, plugged the new one in and screwed the IR remote back into where it came from.

My matrix looked like this Cat5/6e Matrix

When I referred to "IR Remote" it should have been "remote receiver" as indicated in my manual

Here is the link to the manual for my system.

I provide the information to just give you some ideas. Hope it was helpful.

Edited by wayne77590

Thanks. While I was waiting for responses I mistakenly ordered an OREI HD-104 which is nothing more than an HDMI splitter only. That was before I realized I had an HDMI to cat splitter/extender/converter. So doing a little more research, I found some non-powered Cat to HDMI converters that connect to each end of the cat plugs and then plug into the TV and the HDMI splitter. Will know this weekend if they work or not. Not really hopeful but worth a try. All in cost would be $29 for the splitter and $12 each (need 3 sets per splitter) for the little non-powered converters. (JahyShow HDMI extender adaptor). Probably junk but worth trying before I send it all back via Amazon and order an HDMI to cat box with 4 receivers.. 

Potential problem I foresee based on the information that you guys provided is that the cat cable won't reach to the TV. Sounds like the receivers may be located a bit away from the TV with an HDMI cable connecting it to the TV. We'll see. Hopefully I'll have a big loop of cat cable near each TV. 

Cat 5 or cat6 patch cables are cheap, can be ordered in1 to 25  or more lengths and RJ45 to RJ45 adapters are also cheap. If you use patch cables cat 6 will work on either and will not degrade the signal quiet as much. I did find a Triplevision extender on an online auction.

Well, my non-powered Cat to HDMI converters worked, just not very well. The picture was lightly pixelated when compared to a TV connected via straight HDMI or powered cat to HDMI receivers. Was worth a try given the  potential cost savings. .

I'm going to end up going with Tiffin's replacement box because I can reuse the existing powered cat receivers and just swap out the converter box. That way I don't have to remove two of my TVs to access the powered receivers which are buried behind the TV.

Thanks for all the help!