ddoud

House battery intermittently not charging when low

2020 Entegra Reatta XL -  On the road now for four months. Several weeks ago 12V obviously a problem one night. Vegatouch shows house battery in the red and charger says No Charge, Inverter on Passthru (as expected). No breakers flipped upstairs. Turning off/on the red Battery Disconnect Switch quickly gets the house battery charging. We have had to do this several times a week - a lot of the time the charge is on float keeping them in the green. Then all of a sudden it is obvious batteries are down. This can happen at night with no LED's and just aquahot heat on or a/c on, so not dependent of amount of 12V draw. Happens at more than one site, always on 50Amp, sometimes with, sometimes without Progressive Surge Protector. Vegatouch software is up to date. Hope you can read pics below. Pic 1 obvious to us there is not enough 12V present in the coach; Pic 2 Shortly after Battery Disonnect Switch turned off/on; Pic 3 a minute or two later (times in upper RHand corner); Pic 4 Inverter/Charger settings.

Before_battery_reset.jpg

After battery reset.jpg

Second_post_battery_reset.jpg

Settings_Inverter.jpg

Edited by ddoud

Have the batteries been load-tested? Sounds like a shorted plate in a battery, which should still be under warranty..

Edited by rayin

ddoud, Turning off/on the red Battery Disconnect Switch quickly gets the house battery charging.

The switch mentioned, could be the issue., Loose connection? when you toggle the switch -the high current load on the house batteries might cause an ark, this might make a temporary connection that is lost when driving, due to vibration. Driving an RV down the road can loosen up a number of items /including electrical connections.

Ray mentioned the batteries as a possible issue.  Huff mentioned everything should still be under warranty.

Rich.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to check for a loose ground connection. I know this is a new rig, but it seems that loose/bad ground connections account for lots of the problems in the electrical department. There are many more of these than most think about, so take a look for any which have come loose. I'm always amazed at the ability of ground screws to come loose no matter how much they are torqued down.

Welcome to the Forum! :)

I agree with all of the above.  Richard brought up a good point. Between the time the coach left the factory, got to dealer and the 4 months you have been on the road, any electric connection that was not properly torqued, will be loss.  Unlike a house, we are a rolling earthquake and we operate on 3 different electrical systems!  

If your not comfortable working with AC and DC, take it to your Dealer, Factory or NIRVC in Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas or Atlanta, the Nashville Shop won't be open until Spring.  You can also go to Spartan!  Having a new coach warranty, use it. 

Check in the compartment for the house batteries . see that the Terminal for the Battery temperature Sensor is tight , if it is ,next step , disconnect the sensor + leave it off . then check the charging Voltage at the House Batteries . if thats OK , Replace sensor . if not , tap with a hammer handle on the Dual Charge Selonoid , its verry Possible its stuck . I hope this helps You out .Good Luck + safe Travels .   OLD MARINE

7 hours ago, OLDMARINE said:

Check in the compartment for the house batteries . see that the Terminal for the Battery temperature Sensor is tight , if it is ,next step , disconnect the sensor + leave it off . then check the charging Voltage at the House Batteries . if thats OK , Replace sensor . if not , tap with a hammer handle on the Dual Charge Selonoid , its verry Possible its stuck . I hope this helps You out .Good Luck + safe Travels .   OLD MARINE

I agree, my temperature sensor was incorrectly installed by the last person who changed batteries. Xantrex specifies it should be mounted on a negative post under the cable terminals, ie: next to the battery.

On 1/17/2021 at 4:00 AM, OLDMARINE said:

My uncle recently acquired this 2017 Reatta and the previous owner mentioned his youngest son messed the house batteries when trying to fix the no charging issue. Hope it's just the sensor. We'll take a closer look at it after we finished installing the new set of tires and dually truck wheels on the current F350 project.

5 hours ago, conexxelectrical said:

you can purchais now new high company bettries .so it is gives you  a good backup.

Can you explain what a "high company bettries" is.

Herman

How to Troubleshoot Battery Not Charging Issues in Windows 10mobility; even if that means just moving from room to room in your home. Sometimes the power cable connected to your AC power supply brick might be loose. Try a Different Wall Outlet and Check for Low Voltage and Electrical Issues.

Edited by pogiroheat

9 hours ago, pogiroheat said:
 How to Troubleshoot Battery Not Charging Issues in Windows 10mobility; even if that means just moving from room to room in your home. Sometimes the power cable connected to your AC power supply brick might be loose. Try a Different Wall Outlet and Check for Low Voltage and Electrical Issues.

The topic is about charging Motor Home batteries, not charging a laptop personal computer.

On 2/3/2021 at 11:33 AM, hermanmullins said:

Can you explain what a "high company bettries" is.

Herman

I suspect he meant high cacacity batteries, often people using cell  phones  are  a victim of the automatic spell-checker.