richard5933

Drone footage of our coach

So, what do you do once the coach is parked for the winter and you're painfully bored due to Covid-19? You go out and buy a drone!

Here's some footage of our coach we did today as we learned to use it. It would be interesting to see what others have done with drones to capture their coaches at home or out and about.

This was captured with a DJI Mini 2 drone.

Don, your right...we got one in Tree Rivers, not as big as Richards. across from Chock Lake.

Richard, fun...got to get one! :)

Edited by manholt

11 hours ago, akadeadeye said:

Great set up.  In Texas we would call that a Barndominium.

Don

We have big plans for the barn, and they're all just one lottery ticket away. The building dates from the 1840s, so unfortunately it is not suitable for parking the coach indoors just yet. The lower level where the milk parlor used to be has a ceiling height under 8 feet, and the upper level has a wood floor and framing under it.

One day I hope to reinforce a section of the floor on the main level so that it's safe for the coach to come in, and if it's possible to do it with removable hatches so that I can access the underside of the coach from the lower level like an oil pit.

Interesting tidbits about where we live...

At the bottom of the valley used to sit the Wern Farm, which was at one time the largest certified dairy farm in our country. The valley includes a train stop at their grain elevator. At one time our county, Waukesha County, had more cows than people. As neighboring farmers went broke during the depression, the Williams family who ran Wern Farm bought up all the ones they could, painted the barns yellow, and incorporated them into their operation. Our barn, like many in the valley, used to be part of their farm.

Best I can tell is that the last time cows were on our property was in the 1980s, when they used it for their dry cows. Our house (which is dwarfed by the barn) was originally the granary, and later was used as a bunk house for farm hands. It was converted into a duplex in 1971 and we made it single family in the early 2000s. It's because our house was originally a granary it sits literally at the road's edge so grain could be sent through hatches in the roof directly from the trucks on the road.

Richard sound like a great history lesson. Maybe you could get Mark Bowe of Barn Wood Builders to do an episode on your barn and get it restructured. Is it a Timber Frame?

Herman 

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

Richard sound like a great history lesson. Maybe you could get Mark Bowe of Barn Wood Builders to do an episode on your barn and get it restructured. Is it a Timber Frame?

Herman 

Definitely timber frame construction. All but a few pieces of the structure are hand-cut timbers. The roofing rafters are pine trees about 8" in diameter which were just cut in half down the length of the tree. The flat portion is facing up to hold the roof, and the side visible from below is the half-round side with bark. Hand work marks are all over the inside timbers.

Thank you for some interesting History, I just hope it does not end up on the Historical Registry...then you can't change anything out side.

10 hours ago, manholt said:

Thank you for some interesting History, I just hope it does not end up on the Historical Registry...then you can't change anything out side.

You are right Carl.  Some people think an historical designation makes a property more valuable.  Just the opposite is true because of the restrictions on what you can do with it.

Don

Edited by akadeadeye

10 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Looks like a dipole from the video, but it's a vertical antenna and a few guy lines. Used for my Yaesu 991a.

That is a nice rig. I'm running an Anytone TH-9400 here. Not all the bells and whistles you have.

73's

KE5QG

11 hours ago, akadeadeye said:

You are right Carl.  Some people think an historical designation makes a property more valuable.  Just the opposite is true because of the restrictions on what you can do with it.

Don

No worries about that here. They're not going to designate an individual building without the owner wanting it, especially if you're not in a historic district.

9 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

That is a nice rig. I'm running an Anytone TH-9400 here. Not all the bells and whistles you have.

73's

KE5QG

I wanted an all-purpose rig that I wouldn't need to worry about. I've had good luck with Yaesu products in the past, and this one seems as sturdy as the others. Wish I could made more use of it, but it's not high on my priority list right now. I'm working on my code speed right now and try to work CW as much as possible. The main reason I like having my ticket is for emergency situations or for times I need to call for help (roadside assistance, etc.) and there is no cell signal. I also have a Yaesu handheld for when we're on the road. 73s KD9GRB

Edited by richard5933

I have two hand held, an Anytone, and a Kenwood. Don't use them much.  I was a Morse Code Operator for four years in the USMC. Part of that was 2 years on the USS ELdorado (AGC-11) as a Marine communicator. Received a speed key certificate for 30 wpm send and receive. No problem with the code - had to study hard for the theory though. 

If you want to get the code up, here is what I would do and it works: Spend 15 minutes a day receiving they highest speed you can copy. When you get to the point where you are dropping only a few characters increase the speed a little and work on that for 15 minutes a day.  Repeat: and as the days go on you will be up to the speed you want to be at.   That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Looked you up in QRZ. Wow! Quite a street number.

Ha ha! I just looked at your address in Zillow and the Bus is visible and someone in red shorts is head deep in the bay!  All you can see is the back side and legs.

Edited by wayne77590
Humor

Richard the drone is an easy way to inspect the bus roof. My neighbor has a drone he flies above my bottom field, it is so quiet I can't hear it unless I see it first then listen hard. I've had a family of hawks live in that valley for many years, I always wonder that they think of his drone.

1 hour ago, rayin said:

Richard the drone is an easy way to inspect the bus roof. My neighbor has a drone he flies above my bottom field, it is so quiet I can't hear it unless I see it first then listen hard. I've had a family of hawks live in that valley for many years, I always wonder that they think of his drone.

We've got a few hawk nests in the vicinity. They fly over our property quite often, and right now they seem to be having a bit of a territorial spat. We actually had to bring down the drown the other day out of fear they were going to attack it.