obiwan_canoli

Getting Mail on the Road

Planning to do some travelling in 2021, a few days here, a week or two there, and technology affords me the opportunity to receive and pay bills online for the most part... but, when I will receive physical mail, using a service  such as Escapees, or Good Sam, would seem to require me to be settled in for a longer period, to make sure I get the mail I'm expecting...

Do RV parks accommodate such services when, for example, your stay is an extended one, say, a month? Can one have mail sent "General Delivery" to and be held by a local Post Office for pick-up? If so, how long will they hold it? I can imagine that when one knows where one is headed, and when, one can arrange for mail to sent ahead of time, for retrieval when I arrive, but for those of us who travel on the fly, fluidity is key when a specific date one would arrive isn't yet known... 

Is such a dilemma easily handled? Or will I encounter a challenging issue here?

When we travel for an extended time, we use the Goodsam Service out of FL. They hold our mail sometimes for several weeks but will go over what we have anytime I call. If we need the mail, we will have it forwarded to our next destination based on our time in one spot. We have found that most campgrounds worth anything will allow you to have mail sent to their office.

last year traveling through Alaska was a challenge but managed to get our mail several times. Like you we receive and pay most bills online.

we have used General delivery at local post offices also.

Edited by campcop

In case you're not aware of it, the US Postal Service offers a free service called Informed Delivery. Each day they will send you an email with a scan of mail arriving that day and with a note about any packages. https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

It's definitely not 100% but pretty close. Last year I noticed we did not get an email about most of our arriving tax documents for some reason but the mail did arrive at our kid's house.

Why do they do this? Several years ago the USPS got outed for quietly scanning every piece of incoming mail and saving the images for 30 days for use by law enforcement. After they got outed they started offering this service, so I guess someone got the good idea of just hiding the scanning for law enforcement in plain sight. :)

One option could be to put in a mail hold and use Informed Delivery, or use USPS free forwarding if gone for a while. Even a year ago we would see the email of arriving mail but it would not show up at our kid's address for a couple of weeks. They do live several states away so that may be part of it.

FWIW,

Ray