Sign in to follow this  
elizabethmeyer

Directv remote doesn't work correctly in bedroom

This is just a question of curiosity. I don't really need to fix the problem but I am curious about why the remote works very strangely in the bedroom. I have 2015 Tiffin with 4 TVs. Each has an IR extender/repeater device. They are all connected to the Direct TV box through an IR emitter that is glued to the IR window on the Direct TV box.

When they are all set to satellite input, 3 of the TVs, the living room, the **** pit and the outside TV,  all function perfectly in that I can be up to 10 feet away from the IR repeater and still control Directv via the remote by pointing it at the IR repeater located next to each TV.  The problem is the bedroom. Unless I am holding the remote no more than a foot or so from either the repeater or the Directv box itself, the remote won't function. It WILL function, however, if I am it sideways toward the mirrored closet doors or at the headboard which is on the wall directly opposite of the IR repeater and the Directv box. Works very consistently that way. Yet if I'm a couple of feet away from the box and repeater and the remote is aimed at directly at either of them , nothing.. 

Like I said, I don't need to fix it but logic would have indicated that if I was going to have a problem it would be with one relatively far away from the Directv box. Go figure. 

Mark

If you have florecent overhead Lights and they are on they can And will interfear with RF Signals . You might try and open the Mirrored door to stop the Reflection . 

Good Luck ,    OLD MARINE

Got the remote switched to  RF and tested all the TVs while set on satellite and everything works fine. TVs each turn on along with the Directv box and ONLY the TV turns on that I am pointing the remote at. Was a little worried that all 4 would turn on at once.

Changing did leave me with two anomalies which are no big deal. One is that I now get a message to program the remote every time I turn on the Directv tuner despite the fact that I select "Don''t show me this again" every time. The other is that the remote will turn on the LG entertainment box (DVD player and surround sound) but it won't turn it off. I don't think the LG box did that before but I really don't remember and don't much care.  The whole setup has always seemed sort of kludgy anyway. Pieces have always randomly stopped working only to start again. Inelegant at its best and really, really frustrating at its worst. 

Just LED overheads so no worries there.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mark

Have you programmed each remote to work with respective tv? If not, try to program one remote tv that you are having trouble with to see if the program/remote problem goes away.

Not sure I follow. I only have one Directv remote and 4 Samsung remotes, one for each tv. The Directv remote, now set to RF,  will fire up each tv individually along with the Directv box as long as I am pointing the remote in the general vicinity of that tv. The other three remain off.   Happy to try anything as long as its easy to undo. 

I actually have an extra Directv remote from the PO but once I programmed the second remote to RF, the extra remote won't work with the Directv box. I didn't spend any time trying to figure out how to get it working with RF. 

Mark 

Not all Direct TV remotes will work with Your Receiver , i have run into this situation myself , had to contactDirect TV (now AT&T) & they send me a new Remote (free) . but i dont know if You are using a Receiver from Your House . If You still have the Problem where you have to get real close to the RF spot on the Wall ,You can take a small piece of black Electrical Tape & tape it over halve of the RF Spot that is closest to the Mirror , this will stop the bounce back & forth from Mirror &RF Receiver (black Spot), this was the fix as per Tiffin .there Tech just took his Boxcutter & trimmed around the Spot , then you cant see the black tape , works for me .

I hope this is helpful to You  , Regards OLD MARINE

I'm good with the current setup with the single remote set to RF. Works great with all 4 TVs. I appreciate the suggestions that helped guide me to setting it up on RF. I don't need the second remote but plan on hanging on to it in case the RF remote stops working. I figure I can always reset the box to IR via the Directv front  panel and then use the spare remote to reset everything to RF. 

Thanks again!

Mark