mmrgrider

Towing an Airstream

I have a 27 foot Airstream.  Loaded weight is 7700 lbs.  I currently tow with an F250 Diesel but am thinking about going down to an F150 (so I put it in my garage) with the Max Trailer package.  This is suppose to allow the F150 to tow up to 13000 lbs.

My questions:  Will the F150 be able to stop the trailer?  Will I have issues going up hills?  Has anybody had experience towing an Airstream with a lighter duty truck like the F150?

I am looking for any advice/input.  We use the Airstream to travel from AZ to VT and back each year.  

Thanks for any and all help!

Airsteams are nose heavy with a high hitch weight.  My Classic had a 1700 pound hitch weight at 9500 pounds so at 7700 you get 1200 to 1400 pounds and that will not leave much payload left over for people and stuff in the truck.  The Class IV hitch on the most F150 are de-rated down to 1200 pounds max weight hitch weight. My Classic I towed with Ram 2500 put I also had to find one with Class V hitch.

Rather than attempt to go into all the details of why a 1/2T pickup is not adequate, I refer you to this online TT towing calculator. Please note some blocks require actual weights instead of mfgrs advertised weights.This calculator removes all the bravado and personal opinions from the subject. Where it asks for truck weight, be sure you  have everything you are taking with you in the truck; it makes a huge difference.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

Edited by rayin

rayin, I like that calculator.

mmrgrider, Welcome to the forum. Just my opinion but considering the difference between towing with a marginal at best F-150 and a capable F-250.  Being able to put in the garage would be an extremely marginal requirement.

Bill  

I have to agree with Bill, in regards to the truck and garage!  In regards to truck under cover, do you have enough property for a taller car port off the garage?  We live on a ranch in Texas, so it's hard for me to understand...even my house (Sold) on an Island in Texas, the garage held 4 vehicles and 2 Harley's, with 13' 6" celling! 

I agree with the posts above.  My Travel Trailer weighs in around 5,000 pounds and I can tow it great with my Ram 1500, including mountains.  However, getting up to 7700 pounds, while doable, would be more of a strain, especially when grades are encountered.  Stopping wouldn't be an issue as long as your trailer brakes are functioning and set properly.  Your mileage won't be any better and the towing experience in general won't be as nice since you'll be closer to the edge of the truck's ability.  If you want to get away from diesel, I would just move to a gas F250.