dontayman001

Can't keep doors closed on refrigerator

Are you sure the door flap was correct? If it does not cam into the lock neither door will close.

I have never experienced that with my Norcold 1200LRIIM. Since new seals are not available, the entire door must be replaced according to Norcold,; however there are universal fridge door seal  replacements on Amazon that may  be retro-fitted  with a little skill. Here is another source.

Aftermarket door locks are also on Amazon.

The test is to place a dollar bill between door jamb and seal, if you cam easily pull it out the seal is either dirty or the magnet is bad. Before spending money, thoroughly clean all the seals, paying attention to the folds. Some Norcold owners have had some success by placing padding in between the folds then allowing the doors to stand open during storage

Don, sorry, but I have not had a Norcold since 1992! :( On all my coaches from 1967 to 1992, it was 3 way Dometic!

RayIN has more experience than I on your system!

5 hours ago, dontayman001 said:

Seals are in GREAT shape regular maintenance on them. no cam on this door has a middle catch bar to hold doors shut. Velcro on handles will not work!!!!

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with that model. It would seam there should be some kind of adjustment. On my last coach when I upgraded to a residential refrigerator I used some  child proof locks I bought at Walmart. They kept the door shut when I remembered to use them.:P

Bill

Even a residential will open on rough roads, we have a French door and it came open Sunday, on I-10 in La, on way home! 🤬

10 hours ago, dontayman001 said:

Seals are in GREAT shape regular maintenance on them. no cam on this door has a middle catch bar to hold doors shut. Velcro on handles will not work!!!!

The cam is in the bottom of the fridge in the center. The flapper must enter that cam-action to fully close the doors, it does not hold them closed. You see two wires going into the flapper, these power the small  heat strip in the flapper, it prevents moisture buildup on the flapper that would otherwise drip onto the floor. You are right velcro will not work on the flat front. Each door latch will hold it closed, when you open a door your fingertips depress the latch for that door.

While this is a different model, the flapper shown works exactly the same as ours. Ignore everything else:

Edited by rayin

Rayin, great video! I was going to say, attempt to fix it before modifying it. If the latch isn't working there could be an underlying problem that's much worse. i.e. door structure collapsing causing the door to drop or sag. 

This is a picture of the Norcold 1210 showing the cam lock in the center of the bottom of the fridge. If the flapper is broken or missing the doors will not stay closed nor will the fridge doors stay closed. The fridge will not maintain a cold temperature and will have extreme frost buildup.

If your 1210 does not have the flapper what seals between the doors?

Norcold-1210-RV-Refrigerator-Storage-Bins.jpg

Page 50 of the Nnorcold 12XX service manual shows the flapper and operation.

Edited by rayin

We never had a problem in our previous MH/RV's with doors, however on the newer commercial refrigerator the installed a drawer pull latch at the top of each french door. If there is room I would suspect that it would work on the 1200 series Norcold.

These are the same type latches that are on most drawers and closets.

I ordered a fridge fixer for my residential fridge. It works great, tried to find that link to repost here but was unable to find the original post, thanks campcop for posting.

We never had an issue in our past MH/RV's with entryways, anyway on the more current business fridge the introduced a cabinet pull lock at the highest point of each french entryway. In the event that there is room I would presume that it would chip away at the 1200 arrangement Norcold.

Edited by Theawillson

Check inside the refrigerator to ensure there aren't any food containers, open crisper drawers or misaligned shelves that could keep the door from closing properly.  If the door still fails to shut tightly, check the door gaskets. Clean the refrigerator door gaskets with warm, soapy water and a soft cloth.