allstarr

Looking at a refurb class C from Cruise America

Cruise America sold some of it's former rentals, as refurbished, and we put a small security deposit on it.

How difficult is it, for someone "inexperienced with RVs," to drive them?

All members of my wife's family has been very negative on it. One even going so far as to say "that's why truck driving school is 6 weeks...you need special skills." Others are saying similar to that effect, especially since neither of us have driven any large vehicles, with any regularity, over any distance.

I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of larger autos, especially in towns. My "biggest" that I've driven, on a regular basis (I've driven uncles pickups, but mainly just to get firewood), are a Crown Vic Interceptor, and Nissan PathFinder.

On the flip, having driven cross country in a car before, going through the towns, the roads are generally fairly straight-forward, and there's no major plans to stay "in town." We would be at an RV/campground for the winter, and that, national/state land, or some other options (like family), when it's not snowing. We also figure, that other than shopping, which we generally do twice a month, or an occasional medical, that, at worst, we rent a car for the day, if needed.

So, are these people just being doom & gloomers? Or is it really a challenge to try and drive an RV, for people not experienced with it? Wouldn't a general guide of keeping 10 miles under the speed limit, and staying in the slow lane, especially for a new driver, be sufficient?

Appreciate the feedback!

Just be aware of your width and length, know how high it is above your head and it will take longer to stop than your car...other than that, it's no big deal.  Most Cruise America are rented by people like you, zero experience!  I would take one out to a large parking lot & practice backing up and stopping!  

Knowing how to set up for camping and your power system when your hooked up to park electric is golden!  

Think of the "Others as, they all want one, but can't.."!  As soon as you both are comfortable with it, about 3 days, watch out for your in-laws, they'll all want to go with you! 😂🤬

Both of us drive and set up our 47 foot 4 inch long and 13 foot 4 inch high coach!  I'm 77, wife is 72 & we did not ever spend six weeks in any driving school. We do Cruise Control at 63 to 65 mph and enjoy the scenery!  More than 2 lane road, we pick the center lane or follow the truckers!

Good Luck and enjoy RV'g! :)

If you are buying from Cruise America they would be the folks to ask. They have been renting RV's for years and can help you just like they help everyone that rents a unit from them. Ask them for help.

However if you are scared to even try driving a small Class C then for everyone's sake please don't. Only you can make that decision. 

Herman

8 hours ago, allstarr said:

So, are these people just being doom & gloomers?

Yes, they are doom and gloomers. Cruise America thrives on the fact that these units are very easy to adapt your driving skills to. A thirty minute crash driving course in a vacant parking lot with practice cones is about all it should take to get familiar with driving one of their units. The biggest challenge is getting use to driving with outside mirrors, the rest should come naturally from your already learned driving skills. As with any vehicle, obey the rules of the road, don't follow too closely, and remember that larger vehicles require a longer stopping distance. The video that Bill recommends is a good place to start. Also, go rent an RV from cruise America, if it is too intimidating, then don't buy one, I will bet that after an hour of driving it, you will say, either I want one or do not want one.

Edited by kaypsmith

What size is this unit? Cruise America has several size RV's. We considered this as an option when we were shopping for the 1st time. I wasn't impressed with their "refurbish process" and there are just somethings that those RV's went through with multiple inexperienced drivers that you just cannot undo not to mention the amount of miles that were on them and at the time they were way over priced. From memory they were around 110,000 miles, on a gas engine that was a rental, that's some hard miles on a not so robust powertrain. 

We ended up buying a class c used that was on consignment for less money, one owner that took care or it, with 50,000 less miles. 

Edited by jleamont

Personally, I would not buy a used rental RV from Cruise America or any other such place.  We have hosted at a number of parks across the country and have witnessed the way these rental units are treated by the operators.  These  units are rode hard and put away wet.  For the year model they have a lot of use and miles.

You would do better buying a nice used unit and having it inspected by a independent 3rd party inspector you pay prior to purchase.  Also, I woudl strongly suggest that you rent an RV and give it a try before you make a large dollar purchase.

Ken

Edited by txiceman

I agree, if you want a class c, try a private owner. I have observed on many occasions, these rental units being abused. I recall one time on a road near Destruction Bay on a trip to Alaska. The road was barely passable at 45 mph. A rental unit passed us going over 60 and I swear the back wheels came off the road a few times when the RV hit those big dips in the road.