EdOsmar

I Own A Small Class C

My wife and I purchased a 24-toot entry-level C. It is our first MH and may be our last. We are about 60, want to travel, spend time in out of the way places, be able to park in small towns close to fairs and stores. We want to have our restroom always close, so we picked a unit that we think we can live in for extended time and small enough to go almost anywhere. We joined FMCA because of the extras the membership offers.

We just went to the Great Lakes Area Rally, had a good time and saw vary few Class C units. We just went for two days and didn't bring our unit. Now looking at this fourm, it seems that most people have Class As or high-end Bs. What is it like for us entry-level users at large rallies or joining a local chapter with most driving Class A coaches?

Welcome to the FMCA Forum. ALL are welcome. FMCA membership is made up of those with 25-year-old, entry-level coaches and brand-new million dollar coaches.

Find chapters and events that are of interest to you.

Brett

Welcome to the FMCA! It's true that the majority of the coaches here are class A type, but the other styles are well represented also. If you visit a local rally or a rally in some place you are visiting, I think you will find the people very friendly and helpful, no matter what type of motorhome you have.

This is truly a "family" not just a club or organization.

Chris G.

Ed

Welcome, and glad you enjoyed the GLASS Rally. It was great weather, good food and entertainment.

We belong to a group called The Hoosier Crusiers and in our group we have every size motorhome

out there so don't be afraid to get involved in a group or other rallys. The people will be just like you

experienced at Glass.

Chuck

Welcome to FMCA! We recently attended our first FMCA International Convention in Albuquerque and there were motorhomes of every size and description. We feel that you will find FMCA members are extremely friendly and accepting of everyone. We really did not feel that we were associating with strangers but with "family".

:rolleyes: Thank you for asking the question.. I've been wondering the same thing. We are going to Forest City to attend our first rally at the Winnebago factory.. and are anxious about it. We are all paid up and awaiting the paperwork.. which we hope is at our house where we will go in 2 days. I was glad to read the answers here from other members. We too have a 30 ft Class C.

About a year and a half ago I started this post. This is just an update as to how we are doing. We have been on the road for over 2 months and are spending the next 2 weeks in Key West before we start north. Hope to make it to Michigan by the end of April. Having a great time, met new friends, and spent time in so many places that we have to keep a notebook just to remember where we have been. So far we are very happy campers.

WE HAVE HAD EVERY KIND OF MH FROM A CLASS B TO A 42 FOOT DIESEL. CURRENTLY WE HAVE DOWNSIZED TO A 25 FOOT CLASS C AND COULDN'T BE HAPPIER. JUST THE BASICS HAS ADVANTAGES. NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF COACH WE HAD IT DIDN'T SEEM TO MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE IN ATTITUDES, WE WERE JUST RVERS. HAVE NO FEAR, JUST DO YOUR THING AND YOU WILL BE ACCEPTED BY MOST EVERYONE. REMEMBER, ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL!!

SOME OF THE BIG GUYS WISH THEY WERE SMALLER.

My lst RV was a pickup used palamino1986. tiny frig. Then I bought on e-bay a 1990 Toyota Winnebago(21').

I made all the mistakes of a person who does not know what to look for and a sleazy seller. Still have some problems: leaky kitchen faucet, short in wiring some where, using d/c the system shorts out. might be a bad ground?? refrig on lp not working right.

Anyhow, I like little, can get around easily-- no desire to go bigger.

We have owned just about every configuration of RV, from truck camper to 37' class A, except a pop up or travel trailer. We full-timed for 9 years in a large, customized, high-end fifth wheel pulled by a small Freightliner RV hauler.

We now own a 23' class C which we love. We have been traveling in it for over two years and it meets most of our needs, however we find we are missing having a dingy. This is especially true when we attend our chapter rallies as we always have to beg a ride when the club goes out to dinner.

When we signed up for Gillette, I had intended to rent a car there (I don't cook at rallies, it's my 11th commandment :) ) so we could get into town for meals and whatever. We are now awaiting delivery of a Chevy Spark, manual transmission. Though hooking and unhooking a dingy is, for me, the worst part of motorhoming, it enhances the experience. The OP might consider that 5 days at a rally without a toad might not be ideal.

New guy here! Wife and I bought the unit in my avi about 3 weeks ago, have replaced all the mechanical stuff under the hood that was either worn out or suspect, about ready to go take it out on it's maiden voyage before we start seriously towing to races with it. Nice clean unit - got really lucky when I found this one - 0nly 65,000 miles and well taken care of - not like some of the "junk" we looked at when we started shopping. Anyway, nice to meet y'all !! :rolleyes:

Wow.. this is an old thread, but one that I can relate to.

We are a small family, My son is 6 and we just picked up our first RV because we want him to grow up with some memories of fun times out in the sun and not so much in front of a tablet or computer.

Now, we didnt have the money to go all in on a new rig but I found a 1991 Coachmen Leprechaun (240CB) for what many have told me was a great deal.

It has all new tires, brakes, transmission, a refreshed engine, and the previous owner replaced the roof and tore out and rebuilt the cab over.

We are so very excited to start this season out and make some memories.

I'm just getting ready to sign up with FMCA, are there any members in the North East PA area? (Stroudsburg)

Thanks!

12799116_10206596490126461_3290474831796

Sigmaz, Welcome to the Forum! Looking good, nice nostalgic look. We started out in 2008 with our two kids (8 and 6) at the time with a 10 year old class C we bought used, it didn't look that good. :) Glad you looked into RV'ing to keep him off of the computers and building family memories. It worked well for us.

We are in Southeastern PA, just east of Lancaster PA, kids are now teens.

Good luck, if you need any help with questions there is a bunch of knowledge and some humor on here to keep you on the road and entertained.

Joe

Thanks for the reply Joe..

Funny thing, I found this unit on CL and picked it up in Lebanon.. Small world.

Yeah it's in pretty decent shape. Definately good enough as a starter.

I do need to do a few repairs..

One is that the black dump valve is leaking a touch and also the previous owner/rebuilder didnt know what Dicor was so I'll be scraping quite a bit of silicone off the roof fixtures and then resealing it.

Don't get me wrong, He did a fantastic rebuild job, But unfortunately for me used silicone..

Thats ok. He completed the harder part. LOL

I mean, He REALLY had it torn down..

12778747_10206598487456393_8620890839777

-Jon

Wow, he really did have it torn down! Yep, small world! That is fairly common on a C from what I have read over the years, I repaired our bunk also, I didn't tear it down that far, WOW. We had water pushing through the front lights that eventually took the wood out on the front and I had water push through the side trim at the front bunk wall that bulged the side out at the front wall. Ours was also a Coachmen but without the front window, I have heard those windows will also leak causing wood damage. I guess it makes sense at highway speed in the rain you can force a bunch of water through any weak seal.

I have photos of it after many years of waxing, scrubbing and replacing decals on the "gallery tab" on FMCA and the coach that replaced it in 2014.

Dicor will be your best friend soon, the stuff works great. It does require frequent inspections and touch ups that would make some think Silicone was a better option when its really not. I also used Eternabond tape which worked great on the bunk seam and the rear wall to roof seam rather than smearing Dicor all over the joint. Enjoy, if he was older you could have some real bonding time with him keeping up with an RV and its maintenance. Coachmen must love the green and red stripes, ours was the same when I bought it in 2008, just a bright white not a cream base color ours was a 1998 Santara.

We camp with a friend that has a 6 yr old son also.

Hi Jon, from Stroudsburg (family is still there), but I'm currently in Florida and working my way back north for the summer. You did get a nice rig. You and your family will make a lot of good memories in that.

We first traveled with a f350 towing a 27' Wildwood 5er with bunks for our grandkids. As they aged we changed to a used 2001 33' Winnebago suncrusier, and now we are down to a 2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R, it is 23'10", not much longer than my F150 4door long box truck. For just the two of us it is perfect, we are mostly weekenders with maybe one or two longer trips a year

Welcome to the forum. You might put your information in your signature and finish filling out your profile. :) Where are you located?

Bill