rpstewart

6 VOLT HOUSE BATTERY REPLACEMENT

I have a 2017 Coachman Mirada and need to replace both 6 volt house batteries, I have pulled the batteries and there is no information of any kind on the batteries, no manufacture, voltage, amps, nothing. How do I find what kind of battery I need to replace the old ones? The batteries are 10 1/4" by 7" by 9" tall, that is all the information I have. 

Edited by rpstewart
added that batteries are 6 volt

3 hours ago, rpstewart said:

I have a 2017 Coachman Mirada and need to replace both house batteries, I have pulled the batteries and there is no information of any kind on the batteries, no manufacture, voltage, amps, nothing. How do I find what kind of battery I need to replace the old ones? The batteries are 10 1/4" by 7" by 9" tall, that is all the information I have. 

The brochure mentions a  55-Amp, 110/12-Volt Power Converter.  No inverter mentioned. How many batteries are you talking about?

Many of the batteries used currently have a 3 year warranty. 

You might give  Coachman a call and ask for the specifications on the OEM battery and who they used as a supplier?

The brochure ALSO mentions.

Stainless Appliance Package-- Stainless Residential Refrigerator, Stainless OTR Microwave, 17” Stainless Range/Oven. 1,000 Watt Inverter w/2 Six-Volt Batteries

Rich. 

Edited by dickandlois

rpstewart,

first thing is to determine 6 or12 volt batteries. A volt meter will help determine what you have. This is important because they hook up different depending on what battery you have. You could also take them to a battery distributor and have them determine what they are. A picture of the batteries before disconnecting helps in reinstalling the cables correctly. Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, rpstewart said:

I have a 2017 Coachman Mirada and need to replace both 6 volt house batteries, I have pulled the batteries and there is no information of any kind on the batteries, no manufacture, voltage, amps, nothing. How do I find what kind of battery I need to replace the old ones? The batteries are 10 1/4" by 7" by 9" tall, that is all the information I have. 

Pictures may help. Have you compared them (by dimension) to the 6V golf cart battery's at Sam's or Costco?

Bill

rpstewart,  Welcome back.

If your running a residential refrigerator, you got to have an inverter/converter, unless you shut fridge off when traveling and only use it when plugged in to 110V.  2 Golf Cart batteries is not enough....did you buy the coach new?

Yes, I bought the coach new, called the dealer service dept. and had to leave a message, also called Coachman left a message, no one has called me back. I do have an inverter/converter and use it when traveling, always have RV plugged in when not traveling. What battery do you recommend?

Trojan makes a number of 6-volt batteries, with the T-105 being the most common. They also have other varieties of this battery with the same footprint, just a bit taller.

My suggestion would be to put batteries in there with the highest storage capacity you can fit. If you have enough space above your current batteries, you can consider going with something like the T-125 or T-145 instead. They are slightly taller but have the same footprint, so if you have enough height it's an easy way to increase capacity.

I've been running Trojan batteries and have had no problems with them. I also have the watering system installed, which means it takes me only a couple of minutes to add water to the batteries without having to pull any of the battery caps.

I have AGM's ( 8 ), no worry about water...NAPA!  Same with Series 31 start batteries ( 2 ). Good for around 6+ years!

AGM batteries are nice, but from what I've seen they have less capacity than an equivalent size flooded cell battery. For me the goal was to get the most number of Ah in the allotted cubic inches of space. With the watering system, it's not difficult to maintain them, but obviously more so than AGM. It's all a trade-off, you just have to know what things are higher priority and which you can do without.

Any online RV supply store, such as PPL of Houston, TX. or Camping World, also West Marine or large Marine parts store!

As Richard said, it has tube's from a central fill port to caps that fit over each (add water cap)  each battery...you get rid off original caps!

There are universal watering sytems, and you have to make sure to get one which is compatible with your batteries. They come with different style caps to replace the original caps. Trojan makes their own, and it fits their batteries. There is a small float under each cap, and all the caps are connected with a rubber tubing. The tubing terminates in a single point with a quick-connect where you can attach the watering bulb.

Here's the link to Trojan's system: https://www.trojanbattery.com/products/hydrolink-watering-system/

And here's a photo of my battery box. If you look at the lower left corner of the battery box facing you, there is a small black round thing - this is the quick connect where I connect the watering pump. Takes about 5 minutes start to finish to water the four batteries inside the box. I do open it a few times a season to visually inspect the batteries, but most time I just use the quick connect to top off the water. Makes it incredibly simple and quick to water the batteries, meaning that for most people it's no longer such a chore and can be done more often.

1974_GMC_4108a-125_43_annotated.thumb.jpg.fbd531f44df927ce5d77c568fdba09f0.jpg

There seems to be a little difference between the Flowrite Battery Watering System for Trojan batteries than there is for other batteries.  I know for a fact, the ganged tops for Interstate GC2 golf cart batteries and Trojan t-105 batteries are identical because I took the factory original Trojan battery tops off and snapped them onto the Interstate batteries I returned to Costco.  The flowrite system I took off the Interstate batteries is working great on my Trojan T-105 batteries I ended up with.  Since I bought my Flowrite system, I see they've begun offering ganged tops to cut down on the individual tops and tubing between them.  That makes installation a lot easier.  Here's what the Flowrite system looks like installed.  https://store.flow-rite.com/watering-system-2-6v-fits-all-6v-standard-spacingrv-2000.html $65

Pro-Fill RV - 2 Battery System

The rascals sell the hand pump you need to connect to the tubing separately.  You put one end in a gallon of distilled water and squeeze the hand pump till it gets hard meaning the batteries have stopped taking water.

https://store.flow-rite.com/fast-fill-battery-water-supply-for-rvrv-2020.html   $20

Hand Pump for Pro-Fill RV or Qwik-Fill

Or, you buy a battery water can for $12 to $15.   https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W54274-Battery-Filler/dp/B003EHIFE4/

712jsG9CBSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

All these products make adding water to your batteries easier.  The Flow-Rite system has a float that blocks adding water when there's enough in the cell.  The water you put in the battery watering can stops flowing when the water reaches the proper level.  I recommend checking and topping off your batteries once a month to prolong their life.

Edited by moonwink

With the watering framework, it's not hard to look after them, but rather clearly more so than AGM. It's each of the a compromise, you simply need to understand what things are higher need and which you can manage without.

Edited by Theawillson

https://www.solar-electric.com/batwatmiscap.html

Of interest and use for wet cell battery users:
I found these wet cell caps that recycle the water contained within the cell while the battery goes through its charge/discharge evolutions.  My experience is that there is little or no off gassing of corrosive fumes, and minimal need to add water routinely. I also have decreased corrosion maintenance due to the lack of acid being released. 
These caps are relatively inexpensive and are easily transferred from one battery to another at replacement time.
They’re almost too good to be true.