john_harris

Solar panels with factory generator

Getting ready to install 400 watt Renogy solar panels with 40 amp MPPT controller to our 2007 Endeavor. RV is equipped with factory 8kw Onan Generator with 2000 watt Magnum inverter.  Do not plan to change any of that. I have reviewed several wiring diagrams and YouTube videos of proper set up but none address how to deal with potential isolation of solar system from batteries while on shore power or while using generator. Do I need to add a cut off switch to the lead from the solar to the batteries to isolate solar system when on shore power or when running gen set. Renogy has not been too helpful with set up of this nature.  Plan is to use solar for battery charging when dry camping in National parks or when restrictions to gen set run times are in place. I am sure someone has dealt with this before. 

Our solar panels are connected to the battery bank via the charge controller parallel to the outputs from the other charging sources such as the 120v charger. I've also got a disconnect in the connection, but that it really for times when I need to do anything and don't want to have live power coming from anywhere.

No need to isolate the solar from the other devices that charge your batteries. All the charging systems play well together.
But you should add that switch from the panels for proper solar start up/shut down. You don't want the panels connected to the charge controller unless the charge controller is connected to the batteries first.

Richard