EY8675@GMAIL.COM

electrical overload question

3 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Your inverter will be pulling 10 amps from your battery bank at 12vdc to make that 1.0 amp t

Actually closer to 12 amps @ 12 DC, the most efficient inverter on the market requires  at least 20% overhead just to run itself. An absorption uses  a heating element very similar to a hot water heater to boil the refrigerant in the absence of a flame.

2 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Actually closer to 12 amps @ 12 DC, the most efficient inverter on the market requires  at least 20% overhead just to run itself. An absorption uses  a heating element very similar to a hot water heater to boil the refrigerant in the absence of a flame.

Okay - thanks for the info. Makes the point even sharper - running an absorption fridge through an inverter is not ideal.

5 hours ago, plowjockey said:

Wife didn't want ice maker so discontinued its use and used extra space in freezer for storage

So if you had a ice maker and it worked on propane you had a inverter from the factory. All the icemakers are 120 AC. The plug where the ice maker was plugged in was where I plugged my residential refrigerator on my last 2003 Bounder.

Bill

I seriously doubt a 2008 Safari Simba shipped from the factory without a inverter to power the icemaker and a couple more outlets like the microwave, TV, and a couple of outlets, at least one in the bathroom and in the bead room. Pretty easy to test. 

Bill 

Edited by wildebill308

I don't think the question is whether there was an inverter outlet for the ice maker, rather whether the outlet is capable of powering the entire refrigerator being run on 120vac. It takes far less power to supply the ice machine than the heating element in the fridge.

11 hours ago, richard5933 said:

I don't think the question is whether there was an inverter outlet for the ice maker, rather whether the outlet is capable of powering the entire refrigerator being run on 120vac. It takes far less power to supply the ice machine than the heating element in the fridge.

Richard just for comparison sake my MH(W's top of the line-limited production)  has a 2000W inverter/charger, the MH does has 1 120VAC receptacle near the Norcold refrigerator. The ice maker and refrigerator use the same AC cord to plug into that receptacle. It is the only receptacle in the MH not connected to the inverter.

2 hours ago, rayin said:

Richard just for comparison sake my MH(W's top of the line-limited production)  has a 2000W inverter/charger, the MH does has 1 120VAC receptacle near the Norcold refrigerator. The ice maker and refrigerator use the same AC cord to plug into that receptacle. It is the only receptacle in the MH not connected to the inverter.

Not connected to the inverter - that means that if you're not plugged in or on generator your fridge must be on propane, correct? OP is trying to run the whole shebang off the inverter without propane. My point was that if the outlet in question is being powered by the inverter right now it will likely have difficulty, which is opposite your situation where that outlet is not run off the inverter.

That was my point of the reply. Winnebago did not think running the refrigerator via the inverter was viable.

plowjocky.  Are you the original owner of the coach?

I had a 2007 WB Tour, 40 DP with the 1200 Norcold and it was not on the Inverter 2,000w, PSW.  I bought it new in 2006.  The fridge was replaced by a Samsung in 2008.

11 hours ago, rayin said:

That was my point of the reply. Winnebago did not think running the refrigerator via the inverter was viable.

YUP, many manufactures feel the same way with an absorption refrigerator. However the OP has a "House" refrigerator per his original post. That tells me its a residential refrigerator but I could be wrong. Those come from the factory on the inverter now and many conversions flip those to the ice maker outlets behind the refrigerator so the inverter will run it. Our coach all outlets inside except where the absorption refrigerator originally connected were on the inverter. When you flip to shore or generator the inverter bypasses.

Per the brochure on the OP's coach, the factory inverter was a 2000 watt with (4) 6 volt batteries. Now the real question's, the refrigerator selected will it run on the factory inverter assuming its an MSW? Was the inverter swapped out for a PSW? 

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

...However the OP has a "House" refrigerator per his original post. That tells me its a residential refrigerator but I could be wrong. ...

It was a Norcold 1210IM refrigerator. The OP also mentioned in one post that it ran on both electric and propane.

5 hours ago, richard5933 said:

It was a Norcold 1210IM refrigerator. The OP also mentioned in one post that it ran on both electric and propane.

To help clarify, this is an RV style absorption refrigerator, not a residential fridge. It is capable of being run on LP or 120 Volts AC, but requires 12 V DC to run the control board. When using 120 V AC, there is simply a heat element that boils the refrigerant instead of a flame. In the past there were also three way models of RV fridges, not this one, it is a two way LP/AC. The three way also included 12 V DC, which was a large drain on the battery bank, but did not need an inverter to run 12 volts, the second element was capable of heating the refrigerant with 12 V DC.