arosen2176@msn.com

First time mountain driving!

Question

Our family is the happy owner of a 41 ft motorhome for the past 4 months!! We have been making small treks across the very flat Florida roads every couple of weeks and will be embarking on our first long trip in just a few weeks. To be exact our trip is 31 nights long, from Tampa to Gatlinburg, to Charlottsville, VA to Washington D.C. and then back down the east coast on the way home. Anyone have any driving advice, especially the Gatlinburg to Charlottsville Route, anything said will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

5 answers to this question

Hi arosen2176,

As you crest a hill/mountain turn on your engine/Jake brake. Let the brake do most of the work slowing the decent. When using the service brake, on a decent, stab the service brake (like the Hitchcock film) firmly. This will keep you at a speed you are comfortable with an minimize use of the service brake. Other than that, enjoy the scenery.

As for roads from Gatlingurg to Charlottesville, for a newbie, I suggust sticking with 441 north to Sevierville, then 66 to I-40 east till you get to I-81 north, all the way to I-64 east at Stanton then I-64 to Charlottesville. Nice scenery but 4 lane all the way.

The Blue Ridge Parkway out of the North Carolina side of GSMNP is a beautiful drive and goes all the way to I-64 just west of Charlottesville but is a very curvy, 45 mph scenic drive not well suited to large rv's unless you are very comfortable with narrow roads. Likewise, the Skyline drive in VA which also parallels I-81 but north of I-64 is great for scenery and there is a nice campground at Big Meadows at MP 50 is nice stop but again, it is relatively narrow 2 lanes with lots of curves and a just a few ups and downs. While both are winding, they generally follow the ridges so they do not have really not steep grades. If you have a toad and are able to camp somewhere accessible to either road, it is well worth the time to at least sample the views from the ridges.

Guest 2driftrs

Arosen2176, we've lived in NC for over 20 years and have logged thousands of miles in and around the Blue Ridge/Great Smokey Mountains area.

The Blue Ridge Parkway and 441 from Cherokee to I-40 in TN can be very unnerving if you're new to Class A motorhomes. The roads are narrow and winding, but with spectacular views! The Blue Ridge Parkway has many overlooks where you can get off the road, but this time of year can be difficult to try to park in any of them as they are usually very busy. 441 has a few overlooks that are even more crowded.

Both Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg towns are 4 lanes, but very narrow with a couple of zillion tourists!

What it really comes down to is your experience level. If you're a CDL driver, the trip will be spectacular. If you're new to Class A coaches, it may be a little more of a challenge. If you'd rather not be challenged, consider I-75 through Chattanooga and on to I-40, then south on 441 to Pigeon Forge.

Whichever you decide, have a great trip!

Barry and Jan

Guest 2driftrs

Arosen2176, just a quick follow-up, because sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway are still closed due to clean-up from ice storms and rock slides. You can get the latest info from: www.ncdot.com.

Click on the link for Travel and Maps, then on the link for TIMS: https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/TIMS/default.aspx. This is the traveler information management system. On that page is also a link for the Blue Ridge Parkway info.