jon48

How can I protect my toad from road damage?

Towing a jeep wrangler.  I've seen a number of comments on the web regarding damage from rocks, etc.  My Tiffin DP has a large shield hanging in the back but I doubt it can get provide more than minimal protection.

The jeep has an 'open' style radiator grill so I see the possibility of rocks passing through the grill and hitting the actual radiator fins.

What about the windshield?

A jeep aftermarket shop suggested some sort of coating rather than hassling with a vinyl bra which may buff the paint underneath it.

Looking for suggestions.

Jon48, are you experiencing any chips in the paint? This is our set up, we’ve been towing Jeeps for quite some time and never had any issues. All of the Jeep’s we’ve towed we’re equipped with some sort of lift being a leveling kit like the one in the photo or “3. Not sure if that helped. We only have the factory guard hanging off the underside of the coach.

408C7082-EB70-4280-8AAC-07D30C8ED3FB.jpeg

I have been towing a 2014 CR-V since new and I can find no damage to it caused by towing. I have towed it behind 2 different diesel pushers. One had a full with mud flap and one didn't.  So I am not a fan of the extra expense and complexity when towing.

Bill

I used a BLue Ox tow screen for several years on my 2007 Saturn, and then on my 2013 MKX.  Not much of a hassle connecting it but eventually it wore out.  However, during that time chips still appeared on the cars, not so much the hood, but the side of the car around the door.  Most likely from passing trucks.  I'm not sure if there is a 100% cure all. 

Since I have had the 2013 MKX since 2013, it has a few dings but most likely some are from the MH but the majority are probably from traffic in front of me.  Depreciation on the MKX will be so much by the time I sell it or trade it that I'm no longer worried about it.

I have been towing a Jeep Wrangle behind our Newmar Class A that has mud flaps at wheels and and full width Newmar flap under the rear about 4-6 inches off the ground and have not had any problems with debris while towing 13 years over forty states cost to coast twice.

The "bra" is a pain for sure.  If you put it on a dirty car just once it will be full of abrasives for life and grind into your paint. 
I use the Protect-A-Tow and like it for the easy/quick on and off plus it rolls up and stores in a small bag.

Make sure your mudflap clears the ground the recommended 4 to 5 inches or it will kick-up rocks and anything else you may drive over right at your towed.

I tow a ford f 150 behind a 2007 phaeton.  Bought the truck new to use for tow vehicle.  First ten to fifteen thousand miles I towed the truck I acquired numerous paint chips mostly beside and above the headlights.  I bought and use a blue ox shield that attaches to the tow bar.  It seems to have worked the past four years and thirty-five thousand miles.  It is a bit of a pain to install.  You need to be somewhat fit as it is awkward to handle and install by yourself.  The original paint chips have not gone away, not sure why?????

Dee

I have towed Jeep Wranglers, Chevy Colorado's, Silverado 2500 Duramax, Isuzu Trooper...from 1984 to now (Jeep Wrangler 3 inch lift & a 2020 Jeep Gladiator), no damage!  Maybe the side radiator helps on DP?  Don't think so, because I've had rear radiator also along with 4 Gas models! 

About 4 years ago on this Forum we had a long post on the pros and cons of mud flaps, cross the back flaps, side/rear radiator...never did come up with a definitive answer! :P

Carl, I think this is some kind of urban/internet legend "if you tow something behind your RV it will be damaged". My question is what about when you are not towing? Does damage accrued then not count? How do you know when that rock chip happened? 

Bill

I'am believer don't fix a problem you might have only problems you do have.  I have towed a new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon for about 11,000 and still not one ding.  If I start seeing dings I will put on one of the protect a toad solutions.

4 hours ago, cwswine said:

I'am believer don't fix a problem you might have only problems you do have.  I have towed a new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon for about 11,000 and still not one ding.  If I start seeing dings I will put on one of the protect a toad solutions.

11,000miles, you are only beginning.  Wait until you travel more and encounter some of our finest highways and trash.

Ken

3 hours ago, txiceman said:

11,000miles, you are only beginning.  Wait until you travel more and encounter some of our finest highways and trash.

Still what's your point. How do you prove the chips happened when driving or when towing?

Bill

5 hours ago, charlieiam said:

One test would be to inspect the towed vehicle before towing and then to inspect after towing and if there are paint chips there is the evidence.

But what if the front of your toad is covered in love bugs and dirt and you miss some chips. Wouldn't that mess up your evidence? :P

I do think the big wide mud flaps/advertising if adjusted wrong can flip dirt and gravel up onto your toad. I had to take mine off because I hit a big chunk of tire and bent it. But I have payed close attention to them since I have one now. Many are not adjusted right and drag at low speed but at hi way speed they blow back at about a 45 degree angle so they arn't doing much to protect the toad.

Bill

19 hours ago, txiceman said:

Ken

I thought I did good since it is a 2020 that only 9 months old.  I guess I should of included my Grand Cherokee (with death wobble), Wrangler Sahara, and CRV that I have towed in the past.

When traveling to Alaska in 2018, we were told to tie up the rear flap or we would experience rock damage from the roads in the Yukon and Alaska. I did not believe it till I found rocks sitting on the hood of my Jeep. Due to the fondness of them using rough gravel to repair roads up there, it appears that the large mud flap would hit the ground on occasion going over some of repaired gravel roads, kicking up stones. I did tie up the rear flap and it stopped the rocks from being kicked up.

but traveling in the lower 48, I have not observed any rock damage from being towed.

4 hours ago, cwswine said:

I thought I did good since it is a 2020 that only 9 months old.  I guess I should of included my Grand Cherokee (with death wobble), Wrangler Sahara, and CRV that I have towed in the past.

Only 1200 miles a month! What's holding you back. 😀

I typically get about 5000 to 6000 a year between June and October.  Stupid COVID kept us from achieving that this year. We did get in about 500 round trip - needed to exercise Beauty!

19 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

But what if the front of your toad is covered in love bugs and dirt and you miss some chips. Wouldn't that mess up your evidence? :P

I do think the big wide mud flaps/advertising if adjusted wrong can flip dirt and gravel up onto your toad. I had to take mine off because I hit a big chunk of tire and bent it. But I have payed close attention to them since I have one now. Many are not adjusted right and drag at low speed but at hi way speed they blow back at about a 45 degree angle so they arn't doing much to protect the toad.

Bill

Yes some of the shields will throw rocks.   I had dealer install a full width Rock Shield my first MH and they raised it 2 inches off pavement and it did flip up gravel onto toad.   I installed the Rock Shield on current MH and raised it about6 inches off pavement and it works perfect.   It has double wide mud flaps behind the dual drive wheels that are stationary and do not flap and the full width Rock Shield under the back about 2 feet ahead of receiver, also about 6 inches off pavement.  Mud (Rock Shields) can be an advantage or disadvantage it all depends upon the type and the install position.

Those "Mustache Brush" shields which drag the pavement will throw gravel as they sweep the road surface ahead of the toad.

The simplest and probably the most cost effective solution, install mudflaps behind the coach tires (standard truck flaps). Most have them, if they’re not long enough add a few inches. 
Then they will always be there and there is nothing to fuss with. 

Take a good, hard,  look at a Newell or Prevost is set up...Then ask, why don't the coach have a full length guard in back?  You'll also note that the mud flap is stiff and mounted between the Drive Axle & Tag!  Everything that goes to the rear, has to do with turbulence and the less you have, the cleaner the toad.

I tow Wranglers, fixed up to tackle the rigors of what it's designed for to begin with, OFF ROAD & OFF the GRID.  I know where my dings, chips and scratches come from!😂 Re-sale=new paint job!:)

Never have understood, why people buy a Rubicon and never take it off road.:wacko:

Edited by manholt

I gave this a bit of thought when I first started building my tow setup. I decided there just wasn't a need. This is a fairly good presentation of my setup. A couple of notes.

My towed is old so, rock chips in the paint are a minor consideration

I have a pusher bus, rear bumper is 24 inches above the ground. My tires are 38" in diameter. Towed is a Ford Ranger so, hood is pretty high.

50740728077_97db0424a2_z.jpg

There are so many variables such as vehicle speed, wind, surface to make any kind of prediction. I couldn't really find any graphics of this. This is only what I think. 

Red line is the path something would have to take to hit front of vehicle. I don't think this is the likely path anything would take unless you were to spin the tires of your MH.   😁  This shows no drop of any kind.

Green path is what I think is much more likely for anything coming of of a tire.

Edited by somewhereinusa