BData

Tire dilemma..I need to purchase 6

The coach (Country Coach Allure 470 Sisikyou) that we just purchased from the original  owners has the following 2019/2020 Michelin X Way 3D XZE on the fronts and the same tires  and size dated 09 on the drive and tag axles. I need replace those tires.

Some history, the coach orginally came with 12R22.5 so at the time on first replacement, the tired dealer didn't have the size in stock but a close replacement were the 315/80 22.5. However, the label in the coach says, "295/80 22.5"

What should I do? Stay with the current size or go back to what the label says?? Country Coach installed the 12R22.5 tires originally which are taller than the tires listed on the label..

Edited by BData

Bdata, welcome to the FMCA forums. Our coach also has 12R22.5's on it, I replaced the 295/80R22.5 since those are so difficult to obtain and only a few manufactures produce that size (I wanted options). My next round I plan on switching to the 315/80R22.5.

Few items to caution;

• Wheel width, will your wheels handle that size tire?
  • adequate clearance, especially in the front when you turn all the way to the steering stops, will they rub?
    • Your tire installer should be able to see if the above items are a problem or not.

The reason I am switching to the 315/80, the 12R22.5 is fading into the past slowly, and they are becoming harder to locate. The 315/80R22.5 is becoming more common and easier to come by. That is the main reason I switched in the first place, I figured if I had a problem on the road and needed tires the 12R would be easily accessible back then which equates to less time stranded. Since it appears times are changing I will be switching to the 315/80R22.5 next time I need tires. 

Edited by jleamont

BData, Welcome to the forum.

6 hours ago, BData said:

The coach (Country Coach Allure 470 Sisikyou) that we just purchased from the original  owners has the following 2019/2020 Michelin X Way 3D XZE on the fronts and the same tires  and size dated 09 on the drive and tag axles. I need replace those tires.

Yes, it's time for new tires.

6 hours ago, BData said:

What should I do? Stay with the current size or go back to what the label says?? Country Coach installed the 12R22.5 tires originally which are taller than the tires listed on the label.

If you are not having any problems with the 315s I would stick with them. You can look at this comparator to see the differences.  Riley not much, 1.2" taller and 0.8" wider. 

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Bill

The wider tires can cause issues in a few places, and they need to be thoroughly inspected. The first issue is your wheel width. Most 315s are rated for install on 9" rims so you want to check that. Next, on the rears the dual spacing has to be a certain width. Check the specs for your proposed tires and make sure your wheel setup will provide that. On the front you need to make absolute certain that the tire will not make contact on a full turn to either side, even when the suspension is at full compression (as in hitting a bump while turning sharply.)

My coach has 12R22.5 tires right now, and previously someone had put 315s on it. Things were generally good, but on a full-to-stops turn the inner edge of the tires contacted the edge of the air bag mount. No good and they had to go.

Finding tires in 12R22.5 is really not that difficult at all. I was able to locate at least half a dozen choices here locally, including some in stock. I went with the Fireston FS561 and find that they ride better than the previous Firestone 315s.