wildebill308

New tire from Continental.

Apparently this has been out for a while but I haven't heard about it so I thought I would pass it on. 

Continental, one of the largest automotive suppliers and tire manufacturers in the world, has released the industry’s first complete tire line with an embedded tire pressure management system (TPMS) sensor.

https://www.continental-truck.com/truck/company/newsroom/100418-conticoachha3

Bill

A few things come to mind.  It is a step in the right direction!

Can it be set to traveling weight of coach or is it always the cold psi of sidewall?

Is it programable to the computer system, such as Silverleafe, or do you need another screen?

Can you set your own +/- temperature?

3 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

All good questions. I also can't find any price for the monitoring unit. Everything I found is wanting to talk about "Fleet" prices. 

Bill

Which is interesting considering most fleets have no way in the cab to monitor TPMS! Goes to show one hand has no clue with the other is doing. 
Fleets flip tires constantly, take off and match on other units or store. It’s daily occurrence, we struggle to get them matched in similar tread depth let alone program TPMS. In a fantasy world that has a one in a million chance of working. Fleet drivers ignore regen requests, engine lights and gauges until the are dead on the roadside. They can’t work a CB, TPMS light.... :lol:

RV industry, this tire has a purpose!

Edited by jleamont

How hard would it be for a fleet owner to install monitors on the dash of the coach? Can't be any more complicated than when we install them using stem mounted sensors. The only difference is these being built in. All the parameters would be set in the monitor, not in the sensors, just like what we use. I see this as something specifically aimed at fleets though, not the world of privately owned coaches.

I can see the tire being used in commercial use where they go through tires a lot more than an RV. Advance warning to a low tire can say much down time and keep the vehicles on the road. That would justify the added cost that I am sure is there. Not so much for RVers. I am sure that a complete set of TPM would be a lot less then the tires.

Herman

Looked at the system install video. Not sure how this would be a good unit for RV owners. We already have internal TPM systems that do not require a wire harness in the market.

Also not sure about transferring the sensor from one tire to another after the tire either wears out or ages out.

But if you want to go this way and have considered my questions I would say go for it if you do not want the simpler, less expensive screw-on sensor units already used by many RV owners.

On 12/20/2020 at 3:36 AM, manholt said:

A few things come to mind.  It is a step in the right direction!

Can it be set to traveling weight of coach or is it always the cold psi of sidewall?

Is it programable to the computer system, such as Silverleafe, or do you need another screen?

Can you set your own +/- temperature?

You set the ideal tire pressure per axle, it will alert you based on any losses from that pressure.

It's only compatible with Continental's systems.

No setting of temps, it only reads the temps.