barretts

2021 small Buick SUV Encore towing four on the road

We have a Coachmen Class C ( 2014 Freelander) and are looking at getting a new car in 2021(replacing Cruze & dolly).

Looking at the Buick Encore line, does anyone have info on towing it four down?

Best regards

Mike

Mike,

Welcome to the Forum.

In the latest issue of Family RVing is the 2021 Towing Guide. That will have a lot of information on all vehicle  including the Buick Encore.

Again Welcome.

Herman

10 hours ago, barretts said:

We have a Coachmen Class C ( 2014 Freelander) and are looking at getting a new car in 2021(replacing Cruze & dolly).

Looking at the Buick Encore line, does anyone have info on towing it four down?

Best regards

Mike

Mike welcome to the forum. Unfortunately that car states in the owner's manual on page 257 The vehicle was not designed to be towed with all four wheels on the ground.

If it is a front wheel drive only you could tow it with the front wheels on a dolly. All wheel drive can not be towed on a dolly.

To bad it is a interesting car.

Bill

On 12/23/2020 at 10:02 AM, hermanmullins said:

Mike the Buick Encore is not listed in the 2021 FMCA Towing Guide. The only Buick listed is the 2021 Enclave.

Herman

I am confused.  I am looking at the digital version of the 2021 FMCA Towing Guide and it says Encore GX.  Also I just left a Buick dealer and according to the owners manual of a Buick Encore GX it is not towable.  Could someone help me understand what is going on?  I would like to get something before the end of the year.

On 12/25/2020 at 4:10 AM, hermanmullins said:

My mistake, the Buick Encore GX is the only Buick listed for 2021.

Herman

See my correction posted yesterday at 4:10 PM. 

Herman 

Herman.  The confusion is that FMCA say's its towable and the Manual say's it is not.  I would go with Buick Manual on this one!  

yellowride, welcome to the Forum and find another ride! 🎅:)

17 hours ago, manholt said:

... I would go with Buick Manual on this one!.... 

Ditto, and don't believe the Buick salesman when he tells you it's okay.

Mike,

If you are really interested in towing the Encore I would find out for sure if its towable or not.  As in the case of a vehicle I want to use - the Kia manual says no to flat towing and no to dolly towing expect in emergencies.   But a KIa TSB says all manuals and DCT's are towable.  Thus a TSB may provide other information over riding the manual. Also as a GM product I would check to see if Chevy has a vehicle on the same platform  and if its towable.  I would also attempt to contact the author of the article.  And after all that work you might find out it is towable but no one makes a base plate.  Which is what I think is going to happen on my 2020 Kia Optima EX Premium.

The following was taken from the 2020 Towing Lineup guide:

"Any front-wheel-drive Kia vehicle equipped with a dual-clutch transmission (DCT) or a manual transaxle can be towed four wheels down.
 For four-wheels-down towing, these conditions must be met, according to Kia Technical Service Bulletin number 018 (Rev 4, 05/24/2019): DCT/transaxle oil is at the recommended level;
DCT/transaxle is in correct working order; parking brake is released; gear shift is in neutral; steering wheel is unlocked with the key in the ignition and in the “ACC” position; when key is
in the “ACC” position, ensure all accessories are turned off to prevent battery drain, and/or provide 12-volt backup to support battery power; front tires are the same size; tire pressures are
equal and inflated to recommended pressure; vehicle is towed from the front."

Again the Kia manual says no to 4 wheel down towing and no to dolly towing expect in emergencies.  I hope I can find a base plate.

Larry