rkammerer

Class A Motor Home Dash Cam Recommendations

I am looking to outfit my Jayco, Alante, class A motor home with a dash cam. Do you have any recommendations on a particular product? How did you mount the camera? On the windshield or on side window near driver? Did you buy one that has rear facing capabilities? Is there dash cam reps at the FMCA Rally in Perry, GA this year?

rkammerer.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

I'm sure some one who knows more than I will be along later to answer your question!  I have 11 cameras that came with my coach, one for inside and 10 for 360 outside, they're on a 24 hour loop when your driving or when security is turned on!

We really like the Wii dash cam I found on Amazon for under $50. It records new 3 minute segments for up to 8 hours, then starts over. It will mark any segment that senses an impact, like most dash cams. It also has its own WiFi hotspot,so you can view or download any segments to your cell phone or laptop, after loading the app. You can email it text both videos and photos from the app. It also allows you to shorten video segments, to allow faster emails.. We loved this feature driving thru Utah and Colorado mountains last year. Recorded some very scenic videos, which was a bonus, because I bought it to record the fools that love to cut us off most every trip. Cheap insurance to prove who did what.

Video and still photo quality is very good. I can read tag numbers of vehicles as well as see which traffic light color is lit. The recorded view is a almost 180 degrees left to right and from pavement to above overhead freeway signs, all readable, as are company names of passing trucks.

I mounted the dash cam at the bottom middle of our Class a windshield, between the wipers. Power is either USB or 12v plug. Very rough roads can affect the quality, that was rare. I think most dash cams have these features and ours had held up well for 20k miles. 

Steve Walsh

Edited by steve1350

Thank you for the information. Can you mount the camera on the drivers side window instead the windshield? Trying to keep from having wires running all over my dash to a windshield mount.

rkammerer

I understand what you mean about the cable on the dash. However if you mount it on your drivers window won't you loose a lot of left side vision? In the center of the dash seems like the ideal location to get the maximum viewing.

As said before, Welcome to the Forum.

Herman

Mine is mounted on the windshield in the center of the coach at dashboard level.  Small little thing but records on a micro-mine sd card. Quality is exceptional but it is only forward looking. I wish I could remember the model/manufacturer.  The cable runs along the channel of the windshield and is out of view with my Cig Lighter receptacle below the driver's window.  Not intrusive at all.  Many come with long cables and even extensions can be added.   Mine is about 2 x 3 x 3/4 inches in size.  If I go to the storage area in the next few days I'll try and remember to get the model # if you have not found one suitable by then.

We use an Aukey HD Dashcam in our coach. Mounted center on the windshield, it captures nearly 180 degree Field of View. With a 64GB MicroSD card, it records hours of video in 10 minute files, before it loops back over the older files.

The reason I got the Dashcam was because of the idiots out there who hate motorhomes getting in their way! I have had many cut me off and do the "brake check" thing in front of me to scare me, or get even with me for getting in the way. No worries, it is all on video and can be used as evidence. I also have the GPS attachment/antenna hooked up to record lat/long, elevation, speed, and direction.

In our new to us, coach.  It has 10 cameras outside and one over the drivers seat inside.  When we are not in coach, we turn the inside on and thru the security system the outside on!  4  loops off 24 hours each, before it covers loop one, then two, etc.