ibgboh

slide out cabinets

Interesting.  At a FMCA Rally in Lebanon, Tenn.  The Gold had just come out and the owners of Alfa (he was 6'7") was there.  His height, was the reason for the height of the slide & coach!  I was still 6' 9" and asked for overhead cabinets....He's reply was, that it would not appeal to tall people. Huh???  He was the Founder of Fleetwood, grandson!  Family was a little strange. Alfa did build a good, solid coach!  

If you want to add cabinets, I see no reason why not.  Just make sure it has a solid truss or back board and head board to screw into!  Most overhead and other cabinets are modular, just like the furniture!

13 hours ago, ibgboh said:

I have a Alfa see ya gold motor coach.  Just trying to find out if anyone has added overhead cabinets in the slide out ?? 

Welcome to the forum. Never had a Alfa but Like Carl said "I see no reason why not". Where are you located? 

Bill

ibgboh, can you elaborate? "Slide out" are you referring to adding cabinets to the basement slide out tray or installing cabinets on the interior cabin slide outs? 

I believe the OP is asking about adding cabinets to his slide on the inside of his coach. It can be done if the coaches structure is strong enough to carry the weight.

If the OP wants to add some his best bet would be to go to an RV Salvage yard and purchase ones that would fit. 

Herman

15 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

I believe the OP is asking about adding cabinets to his slide on the inside of his coach

That's what I thought at first, when I looked up a few Alfa models they all had cabinets throughout the interior. Guess we need some more detail.. You are absolutely correct, structural  integrity of the slide out would be a huge concern. Some manufactures make them lightweight with flimsy wood while others build them out of welded steel box tubing and some are pop riveted aluminum channel. 

10-4, IMHO if a manufacturer was going to put in overhead cabinet in an area they would have structured the area to support the weight. From what Carl said Alpha had no intentions of putting overhead cabinets in their slide outs and may have saved money by using less costly materials.

Just thinking off the top of my head(and yes that is open for intrastation).

Herman   

22 minutes ago, manholt said:

We have OH cabinets in our slide outs! 

Yes your slides were designed with cabinets. The OPs Afa wasn't. and the OP ibgboh hasn't responded back yet. My recommendation would be to take it to someone who has experiance modafiing RVs. I wanted to know where he was so we could recommend someone to look at it.

Bill

Bill, scroll up to my post, 22 hours ago, youl read all I know about Alfa Gold...no need to explain it to me!

ibgboh --

Welcome to the forum!  There are many great forum members willing to provide help at any time. 

I've seen Alpha brand motorhomes at various RV parks but most appeared a bit "elderly" in age.  A quick Google search revealed that Alpha Leisure company was a "scion" (off shoot) of Fleetwood Enterprises which is now Fleetwood RV which is owned by the REV Group.   The Alpha Leisure Company went bankrupt in 2008 during that economic crash meaning Alfa coaches are now 13+ years old. 

As others have mentioned, many newer coaches have overhead cabinets included in slide-outs so adding a cabinet to your coach is conceptually OK.  The challenge you'll have is learning if the wall framing for your slide-out has the structural strength to support new cabinets and where the frame members are located to attached new cabinets.  

There is an Alfa See Ya's Chapter within FMCA whose members may have knowledge of how the wall of your slide-out is constructed, where wall framing is located, etc.  The Alfa See Ya's Chapter has a nice looking website including sales brochures for various model years --> AlfaSeeYas - index page

It would be worth contacting the Alfa See Yas Chapter representative to learn if any members may have the info you need --> Chapter Home Page (fmca.com)

When you have a moment, it would be good if you could create a "signature" block such as mine or others above to share more info about your coach, where you are located in this great USA, etc.  That info is very useful for forum members to provide the help you'll need in the future.   Yes, all coach owners need help from time to time so never hessitate to seek help.  Personally I've been in Motorhome 101 class for six years and wonder if I'll ever graduate to Motorhome 201 class....

Again welcome to the forum!