garmp

Bourbon/Whiskey trail

Question

I realize that there are two distinct trails. One in Kentucky & one in Tennessee. We would like to hit at least a part of both. We think we want Jack Daniels, Prichards & Geo Dickel in TN and Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark and Bulliet in KY. Any other suggestions on distilleries and campgrounds. We prefer state, COE & municipal parks as to commercial or private ones. Restaurant info is always helpful.

On 1/5/2021 at 5:44 PM, garmp said:

I realize that there are two distinct trails. One in Kentucky & one in Tennessee. We would like to hit at least a part of both. We think we want Jack Daniels, Prichards & Geo Dickel in TN and Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark and Bulliet in KY. Any other suggestions on distilleries and campgrounds. We prefer state, COE & municipal parks as to commercial or private ones. Restaurant info is always helpful.

You should tour the Wild Turkey distillery too while in KY. IF they are open to visitors now.

garmp, I'm sorry, but your original post got lost in the last Forum shut down...we seem to have lost a bunch of OP's!

Jim Beam is the only Bourbon, that I know of....the rest are Whiskey!  Since JB had a major fire last year, you'll have to call them about tour info!  Also, with COVID-19, they may all be shut to visitors! 

Edited by manholt

Makers Mark is a bourbon. So is Bartons. In fact 95% of all bourbon is made in Kentucky. None is made in Tennessee. 

Edited by rossboyer

Since I'm not a drinker of either, I stand corrected...Thanks Ross! :):D

It still dose not answer the OP's question!!

It has been a ling time since we camped in that area, but as I remember there is a state park a little south if Bardstown, KY. I think the sites were crushed stone, electric only. The lodge had good meals. 

On 1/5/2021 at 8:32 PM, rossboyer said:

Makers Mark is a bourbon. So is Bartons. In fact 95% of all bourbon is made in Kentucky. None is made in Tennessee. 

From Wikipedia:

Tennessee is home to other major bourbon makers, although most prefer to call their product "Tennessee whiskey" instead, including giant Jack Daniel's. It is legally defined under Tennessee House Bill 1084, the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), and at least one other international trade agreement as the recognized name for a straight bourbon whiskey produced in Tennessee. 

In other words there is bourbon made in TN, but it's call Tennessee Whisky!

Edited by docj

We stayed at Horse Farm. As far as to what distilleries to go to, there are a bunch. My favorite is Woodford, then Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark, Four Roses. Bulitt. Jim Beam is there also but after testing the first ones, this stuff is rot gut.

I had a couple of sips of Yukon Gold, about 15 years ago...all I ever drank was Scotch, but the gold was really good.

20 hours ago, dons2346 said:

Jim Beam is there also but after testing the first ones, this stuff is rot gut.

With all due respect, the Jim Bean label is only one of a number of labels produced by this distillery.   Try any of the >100 proof Knob Creek labels; I doubt you would call those rot gut.

That's one of the benefits of taking the Bourbon Trail IMO.  You learn about labels you never would have tried.  The quality of bourbon I drank improved significantly after we took the Trail.  And we still love the bourbon cream produced by Buffalo Trace that we discovered on the Trail.

On the outher side of "smooth" we got to sample directly from the collector at the top of the still at Barton's. I liked the samples in the tasting room better.

Bill

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

I mentioned Knob Creek as being good but the Woodford Reserve double oaked is at the top of my list. It is so good, I don't even share with friends and I limit myself to 2 fingers a week, neat.

docj, the Bourbon Cream is the reason this whole trip came about. We stopped by Buffalo Trace a couple of years ago on a whim. Missed the tours, but went into the gift shop and I saw a bottle of the Bourbon Cream and is just sorta said, "Buy ME". So I did!!! Amazing is all I can say. Always likes a sip or two of Jack Daniels so decided to stop by their place, then added another one to the list, and another, etc. So now we're trying to trim back our stops and asking for advice on the better stops/tastings.

My favorite is Maker’s Mark. Small and personal, but no tasting because it is a dry country. They do give out bourbon balls, or at least they use to. 

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

My favorite is Maker’s Mark. Small and personal, but no tasting because it is a dry country. They do give out bourbon balls, or at least they use to. 

I'm pretty sure they offered tasting when we toured there some ~15 years ago.

1 hour ago, garmp said:

docj, the Bourbon Cream is the reason this whole trip came about. We stopped by Buffalo Trace a couple of years ago on a whim. Missed the tours, but went into the gift shop and I saw a bottle of the Bourbon Cream and is just sorta said, "Buy ME". So I did!!! Amazing is all I can say. Always likes a sip or two of Jack Daniels so decided to stop by their place, then added another one to the list, and another, etc. So now we're trying to trim back our stops and asking for advice on the better stops/tastings.

We can get that bourbon cream at one of the liquor stores here in coastal TX.  The supply isn't regular so I usually buy several bottles when they have it in stock.

8 minutes ago, docj said:

I'm pretty sure they offered tasting when we toured there some ~15 years ago.

I just Googled the question about dry county. It is not dry now but was. 

52 minutes ago, rossboyer said:

I just Googled the question about dry county. It is not dry now but was. 

It was at Maker's Mark that we were given the chance to taste the "white lightning" that they actually market.  It's just that hasn't been aged!  As they say, that will definitely put hair on your chest! 😅

Edited by docj

Since we now know that bourbon and whiskey  are the same in Tn., here is a list of the whiskey trail in Tn. https://www.tnwhiskeytrail.com/distilleries/

On my many trips to Tn., I learned that in a dry county in Tn., only the spirits made within that county can be sold in that county.

Edited by kaypsmith

According to a bill passed by Congress, bourbon is only distilled in Kentucky and aged in new white oak barrels. But who pays attention to laws anymore? Those barrels don’t go to waste. They are reused to age wine.