garmp

Bourbon/Whiskey trail

Question

I realize that there are two distinct trails. One in Kentucky & one in Tennessee. We would like to hit at least a part of both. We think we want Jack Daniels, Prichards & Geo Dickel in TN and Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark and Bulliet in KY. Any other suggestions on distilleries and campgrounds. We prefer state, COE & municipal parks as to commercial or private ones. Restaurant info is always helpful.

Alas after spending 6 weeks in hospital, including 2 weeks in extended care facility I am now a tee-totaller. I  underwent 9 Kidney dialysis treatments, the many reasons for which are immaterial. I'm off dialysis now, but with permanent kidney damage.

I must change my lifestyle or stop having a life according to the 5 Dr.s that attended me in the hospital. I never want my wife to receive another call from a Dr. informing her that her husband is dying from multiple organ failures. Those 2 phone calls almost put her in the hospital too.

Edited by rayin

Thanks Carl, Bill and everyone. The latest blood test showed my kidneys have recovered to where I was removed from the dialysis list and the infusion ports were removed. I'm still on the list for gall bladder and pancreas removal.

The irony of this is, the day before I was hauled to the hospital I bought a 1/2G bourbon, a fifth of Fireball and a case of Michelob. 

garmp, I apologize for hijacking your interesting thread.

Ray, I'd like to tell you that you could cook with it and burn off the alcohol, but that is a myth.

So, find a central meeting place that we can all converge on and we'll get rid of it for you.

Wayne, it's not a "Myth!"  Herman can attest to that, he loves Linda's Rum sauce for Bread Pudding....1 cup rum=lots of flavor, no alcohol.  Depending on what I'm cooking or grilling, I use wine, beer, ale, rum gin, whiskey or tequila!

Herman...think there is nothing left to cover on B/W Trails! :(

If you do the research it takes 3 hours of cooking alcohol to reduce it to 5%. One hour reduces the alcohol to 35% and 2 hours to 25%.

Ok, I'll research it again.

Here is one link: Food Network

Another: Idaho State University Times vary

And: What's Cooking America

So in my humble opinion, alcohol does not burn off completely when cooking food. Myth busted!

p.s., lots more links if you search for: "does alcohol burn off when cooking" without quotes.

Edited by wayne77590
More links.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:04 PM, wayne77590 said:

If you do the research it takes 3 hours of cooking alcohol to reduce it to 5%. One hour reduces the alcohol to 35% and 2 hours to 25%.

Ok, I'll research it again.

Here is one link: Food Network

Another: Idaho State University Times vary

And: What's Cooking America

So in my humble opinion, alcohol does not burn off completely when cooking food. Myth busted!

p.s., lots more links if you search for: "does alcohol burn off when cooking" without quotes.

Oh yes, alcohol burns off while cooking.  Set your timer for 2 1/2 minutes for cooking steaks.  Take a few swigs of your whiskey.  Turn the steak and cook for 2 1/2 minutes more.  Take a few more swigs.  Take the steaks off and let them cook on their own for a couple minutes.  Take a few final swigs.  Whiskey gone.  Alcohol has completely burned off while cooking.  Geezzee, guys, get on board with this!!!!!!!!!

Don.  You have not changed....we just got older!  😂

5 min. steak?  All mine are 1.5" thick, prime, generally it's a 12 min cook time!  :P 

Carl, the first time shared a meal was at Tyler Oaks in Tyler Texas. You were there with the Golfer chapter. Butch & Charlotte, you and Bobbie &  I, we grilled steaks. Remember?

We had met for a short time earlier in Conroe and I was so busy we didn't have time to talk. But Tyler was nice.

Herman

Edited by hermanmullins

Have not forgotten brother!  :D

We had a couple of "Flat Iron" steaks yesterday, with questionable pedigree....so I marinated them in some good red wine and got to say that deadeye was right.  By the time the meat hit the plate, the wine was long gone! :o

Doing "Drunk Shrimp" and scallops tonight, in Tequila!  Linda likes Margaritas...we'll see what happens!  Thankfully, we only have a 1/4 left 😂:wacko:

On 1/28/2021 at 7:24 AM, manholt said:

Don.  You have not changed....we just got older!  😂

5 min. steak?  All mine are 1.5" thick, prime, generally it's a 12 min cook time!  :P 

12 minutes of cook time?!!!! Good Lord Carl, you burned that poor piece of cow to a crisp

Dons2346.  Hi, long time no hear!  The other Don "deadeye", I have known since the late 1960's! :) 

I do not eat "Cow", just steer (fixed Bull)!  When we cut into it, medium to medium rare!  Some "Texas Natives" want their T-bone, no more than 3/8" thick. :blink::wacko:

1 inch minimum on all steaks. Cook to an internal temperature of 130˚, remove from grill and let sit of 5 minutes.  Perfect every time.

Or, place on grill 4-5 minutes and should slightly char, then flip and cook additional 3-5 minutes for medium rare. Lower the time for Moo cooked.  About 8-10 minutes for medium well.

Twelve minutes should qualify for tearing into pieces and use as charcoal.😇

Edited by wayne77590

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

1 inch minimum on all steaks. Cook to an internal temperature of 130˚, remove from grill and let sit of 5 minutes.  Perfect every time.

That's the way I do it in North Texas to achieve Med-Rare. mmm Good. 

Herman

Herman, I grew up in Denison. My parents cooked everything well done. When I got in the Navy we would have a cookout on the fantail. Cooks would start with a case of frozen steaks and throw them on the barbie. When the outside was burnt, they were done. On the plate, the inside had just thawed out so I learned to eat rare steak

I hate well done anything, except chicken, turkey and goose.  Everything else is medium or medium rare!  Also has to do with cooking temp and where meat is in regards to heat source, wet or dry aged between 30 days or 100 and cut of meat.  

I must say, that "Deadeye" Don, probably knows more about beef and cooking it, than anybody else on this Forum! :P

1 hour ago, manholt said:

I hate well done anything, except chicken, turkey and goose.  Everything else is medium or medium rare!  Also has to do with cooking temp and where meat is in regards to heat source, wet or dry aged between 30 days or 100 and cut of meat.  

I must say, that "Deadeye" Don, probably knows more about beef and cooking it, than anybody else on this Forum! :P

Carl, please add pork to that list, pork also decays from the inside unlike beef and a lot of other wild game which decays from the outside in. You would love one of my steaks also.😉

Oh no! Pork should be at 135-145˚F, or sometimes called Medium. Just a little pink on the inside depending if you are on the 135 or the 145 side, with 135 more rare. Nice and juicy.  The lower side of medium is chewy and the well done side is dry. 140-145 is a little on the medium rare side and I prefer 145, pull it off the grill at about 140˚. Let it sit for 10 minutes.

Trichinae is killed off at 137˚F.

Edited by wayne77590

On 1/16/2021 at 9:47 PM, rossboyer said:

According to a bill passed by Congress, bourbon is only distilled in Kentucky and aged in new white oak barrels. But who pays attention to laws anymore? Those barrels don’t go to waste. They are reused to age wine. 

Don't get me started.  There are bourbon distilleries all over Texas.  Spirits, yes.  Bourbon, yes.  But, if Congress says it, it must be correct!!!!!  Yeah, right!

Don